Is my 15 year old dog's behavior appropriate with a new puppy?

Yesterday I just got an 8 week y/o queensland heeler pup & introduced her to my 15 year old mutt, midnight. midnight doesn't seem to hate her or lover her, but he follows her around panting and whining a little bit. anywhere the pup goes he goes and he keeps whining softly. when the pup is sitting still he will slowly walk around her and whimper. he only does this sometimes, other times he just just follows her around and softly nudges her and sniffs her. his body language is nothing aggressive or scared; i just dont understand the whimpering and he refuses to sit and relax with us. he is constantly pacing. is this normal? will it go away in a few days? thanks in advance for the advice ;)

Asked by Member 1178775 on Jul 6th 2013 Tagged puppy, olddog, introducing, whining, whimpering in Puppies

Answers

He is now her GrandPaw and communicating with and protecting the new pup. It's very sweet. He should calm down. Calming pheromone spray in the house might help him. Make sure to give him extra, separate attention and treats, including in front of the new pup. He will accept her and teach her how to be a dog, which will help to keep him young. ^_^