is liver good for dogs?

I occasionally give a piece of chicken liver or as treat, yet my vet was alarmed to hear I feed it my dog> If OK then raw or cooked? what amount is safe?

Asked by Member 1058203 on Oct 6th 2011 Tagged liver, dog in Homemade Food

Best Answer

In order to get too much vitamin A from liver a dog would have to eat large amounts of it daily.
I give my dogs all kinds of liver and they get about 1/4 cup each serving. They weigh between 5 and 12 lbs and none has ever had any problem with eating it.
It doesn't matter whether it is cooked or raw, however some dogs do not like the texture of raw liver. I use it for training treats and usually boil it first, then dry it by putting it on a cookie sheet in the oven set at a lower temperature for several hours. This makes it easy to cut into small pieces and much less messy if I keep it in my pocket.
If you dry a bunch at once you can freeze any extra and have it available for use when you need it.

answered on Oct 8th.

Answers

Yes, chicken liver is absolutely okay for dogs. Show handlers have been using dehydrated liver as "bait" for umpteen years, and many commercial kibbles and dog treats contain liver. Raw feeders try to get 5% of their dog's diet as liver for the vitamins and minerals found in it.

Just don't overdo it- I don't know if you can with chicken liver, but you can overdose on vitamin A from beef liver. A few nibbles a day are not a problem in any case.

In small amounts it is fine.

SNEAKERS

Liver can be fed in small amounts, is what is said. But, they don't say just how much is "small".
What happens is, that it causes a Vitamin A Toxicity in our Dogs.
Personally, I'd err on the safe side, and refrain from feeding it.
Chicken (meat) has always been ok to feed.

SNEAKERS answered on 10/6/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My dog gets fed homeprepared prey model raw, and liver is necessary in this diet. It's fine.
Too much can give too much vitamin A. I'm not sure of the highest safe amount, but it doesn't sound like you're anywhere near any danger zone.