Ginger

Is lettuce okay for a dog?

Last night my 11 Month Dachshund grabbed a piece of
lettuce I dropped and happily ate it. It was not a really small or large piece.
Is is okay to give Dogs raw Vegetables now and then?

Asked by Ginger on Jan 20th 2009 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Nibbles

Why not? Nibbles likes lettuce. And carrots, strawberries, green beans, pumpkin, watermelon, oranges. Not so keen on cucumbers and celery. You don't want to give a dog onions, or grapes.

Nibbles answered on 1/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Miss Buddie

Lettuce is just fine.

Miss Buddie answered on 1/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bandit

Lettuce is fine for your dog. Bandit likes pumpkin and Sativa likes tomatoes.

Bandit answered on 1/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Raw fruits and veggies are okay for dogs, but they can sometimes cause diarrhea because of the excess fiber they aren't used to. Also, some foods like carrots can be hard to digest when raw.

However, bananas can cause constipation if given too much, so watch the intake on that.

Stay away from raw garlic, raw onions, and avocados. These items can cause renal failure. There's controversy over garlic and whether it is bad for dogs or not, so I stay away from it in general just to ward it off. It seems that cooked garlic is okay in small amounts, but it can depend on the dog, too.

Also, broccoli and cauliflower, as well as cabbage sometimes, can cause a lot of gas, which can be uncomfortable for your baby's tummy, so I'd just avoid them if you can.

Most dogs love fruits and veggies, but test your dog on each new food individually to see their personal reaction to it (watch their poop). Over time you can see what your dog likes and tolerates.

The only vegetable I know of that is bad for a dog is onion. I can't think of any reason to worry.

Also, avoid raisins, chocolate and macadamia nuts. Your Vet would most likely have a list of things that are dangerous for your dog, or be able to tell you where to obtain one yourself.

If not, check out www.allexperts.com, they have answers for almost any question you could ask.

Skittles

My 18 pound Shih Tzu, Skittles gets extremely sick after eating a tiny bit of lettuce. She threw up bile and she didn't want to eat or drink anything and she literally was straining to have a bowl movement but never could. I took her to the vet and the vet gave me meds to calm her digestive system. A few days later she pooped just lettuce! Then she had a few weird looking BM's and soon after that she was starting to feel better. This happened a few months ago. Her vet told me that some dogs can't digest lettuce. I appologize if i grossed anyone out. Hope your dog doesn't get sick.

Skittles answered on 7/13/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer