Is lethargy and pain normal 5 days after spay surgery?

My 7mo old pug puppy was spayed 5 days ago and she is obviously still in a lot of pain. She is lethargic and stays in her bed, crys out in her sleep and when touched near her incision and does not react or act as usual. My vet told me over the phone to give her baby asprin twice a day, they did not seem overly concerned. Is something else going on or is my puppy just taking longer than normal to heal? Her incision looks fine, she is going to the bathroom fine. She is eating but i have to raise her dish, she won't lean down to it. No vomiting. I don't think she has a fever, but I don't have a dog thermometer. Do I just watch and wait or get her in immediately to another vet?

Asked by Member 876883 on Sep 15th 2009 in Spaying & Neutering

Best Answer

Kohl

get her back to the vet ASAP, this is not normal An internal infection could be going on and its nothing to mess with.
You do not use straight asprin on dogs. What the heck is wrong w/ your vet???
normal dog temp is 102, take her temp w/ a thermometer, If they put her out w/ a tube down her throat, then make her a couple soft meals lighly warm. if any heat on her stitches or her temp is over 102, get her top another vet.,
the only asprin type med you should give is called Ascripton, its malox coated asprin, this will not upset her intestinal tract. The raising of the dish says immedialty that its her throat., most likely .Warm water, or a soft canned may be needed right now. Me? i'd have mom make me some scrambled eggs
pure protein, cooled off Soft and yummy for the tummy

Kohl answered on Sep 15th.

Answers

I would check back with your vet again, and if you don't get any help, better talk to another.

When I had my hysterectomy (same as a spay) I can tell you it hurt like heck for weeks after and I can imagine it is the same for our canine fems.
Eating, going to the bathroom, and no sign of infection are all good signs she's starting to recover from her surgery. She could possibly need a few more days to start feeling like herself.
A call to the vet or seeking anothers advice will certainly put your mind at ease and ensure your pup is healing properly. You can never go wrong with a quick check up.

You need to go back to the vet as a walk in.
The dog is in pain after 5days not normal.
They can give you antibotics to give and also examine the dog's abdomen.
Let them know she is in pain, they can also give you something for that too.
I hope she feels better soon.

Call a different vet and get their opinion.

I don't think it is normal, it sounds as if your vet may have botched the job. I would most definately have another vet check your baby out.

Mina

Spaying is a pretty painful surgery... she might be showing that she's in pain more now because it's been a while since the anesthesia and high-dosage painkillers given by the vet have worn off. Also, since it's healing, it might be a little irritated.

If you've contacted the vet and he didn't seem worried, continue to do what he says, and continue to help her out. Is she moving a lot? Try and keep her calm as possible, as movement will slow the healing process.

The one thing to look out for is infection in an incision as big as this. a little bit of redness and swelling is ok, and discomfort when touching within 1 inch from the wound, but any farther than that, and much more swelling or redness can indicate infection. (also watch out for pus or bleeding) At that point, you should bring her in for another checkup.

For now it sounds like you're doing fine.

Mina answered on 9/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer