is kennel cough contagious to kids?

I think my American bulldog that we got a few days ago has kennel cough. He is going to the Vet on tue but is it ok to have my three year old around him? I am very new to owning a Dog!!!

Asked by Member 823101 on Apr 5th 2009 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Lola Penelope

Kennel cough is not contagious to people, and the common cold is not contagious to pets. I believe any virus dogs get aren't transferable to humans and visa-verse. But I believe bacterial infections and parasites are, but not sure if all are. I do wonder what rabies is under... is it bacterial or something else... hmmm

Lola Penelope answered on 4/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

no it isn't to humans.
the only thing I found true is cleaning up after dog if they have viral infection with dirrehea. It can make you have little of upset tummy and stuff. But, kennel cough, no.

Kennel cough is not transmitted to humans but is highly contagious to dogs. I wouldn't allow the dog to leave wet kisses on her face but that's a good rule to have always.

video.google.ca

Have a good one.

Its not, and I know this because I researched this. See, Kennel cough is called bordatella, and whooping cough (people kennel cough) is called bordatella pertusis. Ironically, I came down with pertusis after being exposed to kennel cough, but I don't think there was any relationship!!! Its simply not scientifically possible, though it WAS odd!

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 4/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

you may wish to consult a veterinarian or veterinary school who is up on the latest findings. Recent studies suggest that one of the viruses linked to kennel cough is closely related to Whooping Cough and therefor is potentially contagious to those with compromised or lowered immune systems, as well as, infants and young children who are developing their immune systems.

Actually, recent studies have shown that it IS contagious to humans.

kennelcough.com