Is K9 Advantix safe for pregnant and lactating bitches? I've found mixed messages all over the internet. Safe or not?

She's a four year old, healthy, pregnant toy poodle. She is due to deliver this weekend. Is it safe to apply K9 Advantix on her? So many websites have said yes, but there are a few that say no, which scares me to death. I don't want to do anything to harm my dog or her babies, but I cannot have them born into a flea infested home either. We've been using this product for years. Is it safe for her in her condition?

Asked by Member 1001995 on Aug 26th 2010 Tagged kadvantix, pregnant, lactating in Pet Products

Answers

I would not use it this close to whelping... there is the potential that the babies could ingest it while nursing, which would not be safe!

I would follow the box and don't apply
The pups could lick it from her fur and it is not healthy for mom dog.
You can check out natural sprays instead like peppermint and lemon grass sprays. Sometimes the natural way is best for pregnant moms. :)

With an issue so serious, here say is un reliable and dangerious. Please check with the company who makes the product. The name and phone number should always be on the box or inside the infomation page. If you dont have it anymore - go to the store and look at the box.

Evening Stars Patches of Blue

K9 ADVANTIX IS NOT SAFE FOR PREGNANT OR LACTATING BITCHES! I applied it for the first time to a dog about two weeks from delivering maybe three years ago. The entire litter of puppies died within two days. I dismissed it as being some other type of problem, it was her first litter here with me. Recently, I applied the product to another bitch who was also close to two weeks from delivering. I didn't want puppies born to a dog with fleas, and everything I found online and on the product box said it was safe. She delivered four days ago and 8 of her 9 puppies died within three days of birth! Why the manufacturer would say that this product is safe to apply to pregnant dogs is unfathomable. Not worth the risk, don't do it!

Evening Stars Patches of Blue answered on 11/3/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer