Is it uncommon for a 17 year old to buy a dog ?

Im just graduating high school this year and my parents are buying in to my plan. I have a job. Im financially secure. I just want to know if im crazy.

Asked by Member 1081597 on Jan 2nd 2012 in Puppies

Answers

Well I suppose it might not be a good idea if you are going to move (some places don't allow pets) or go to college (You might not have enough time for everything).

♥Minnie

I don't think it matters how common it is- as long as you have your priorities in check! Being financially secure is one thing, but have you ever had a dog? If you know people with dogs, get their advice on the finances of owning one. If you are going to live at home with your pet (at least for a little bit) make sure your entire family is on board about getting a dog. Then, you have to study up and figure out what breed will be best for you, find a good breeder or go to a shelter, and find your dream dog! :)

♥Minnie answered on 1/3/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

A lot of high school kids have "their own" dog.

When I was in college, a lot of my fellow students talked about missing "their" dogs. I'm putting that in quotes because how can it be "their" dog when their parents are the ones who have to take care of it? Some of these people got the dog back once they were able to find pet-friendly housing in the college town, but many didn't, saying that the dog was "too attached" to their parents, who after all were the real caretakers...

If you get a puppy when you're 17, and the dog lives for 15 years (not uncommon lifespan for dogs) you'll still have it when you're 32! Holy bejeezus! How much will your life change in the next 15 years? Will you always have time and space for a dog? What opportunities will you have to skip because of the dog?

Not saying you shouldn't get a dog, (that's up to you) but just giving some food for thought.