Is it safe to us anti-bacterial wipes on my Pug's face? His face is to the ground every time I take him out.
- Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!
Plain water would be better. The "anti-bacterial" in the wipes is rubbing alchohol which can be very irritating and drying to the skin and sting his eyes.
Snickers answered on 7/5/10. Helpful? / 1
Anti bacterial anything is bound to be stingy on his face. And also, some anti bacterial agents, like tricolasan, are toxic to dogs, so you don't want that on him, especially in a place where he can lick it off, like his face or paws.
As long as he'd had his shots and is in good health, there's no reason to get rid of any bacteria on his face after a walk. This is totally normal and dogs do have a good bit of filth on them at any given time, even the cleanest dogs! In fact, for both humans and dogs, being exposed to regular bacteria is essential for maintaining a properly functioning immune system. If you take away the small challenges to the immune system, it becomes overactive and when you get exposed to something your need to fight off, it goes haywire and you can get really sick.
So by all means, keep Fushi clean with monthly baths and wash YOUR hands after touching him or playing with him. But don't worry about needing anything more than that to de-grime him.
Jack answered on 7/5/10. Helpful? / 0
I don't recommend anti-bacterial wipes because of the alcohol and chemicals they contain. A lot of times it will make the face/wrinkles more red and dried out. I use a wet wash cloth and haven't had any issues with infection. It is also much easier to use in the eye folds without worrying about chemicals getting into the eyes.
Petri answered on 7/6/10. Helpful? / 0