Tiberius - Ty

Is it safe to give dogs advil or Tylenol?

My rottie had broken his toenail and its causing him some pain.. I know you can give dogs some human medications but I was wondering if I could give him Advil or Tylenol to help ease his discomfort..

Asked by Tiberius - Ty on Dec 26th 2008 in Medications

Answers

No!...They are not safe!
Children's BUFFERED ASPIRIN are safe to give dogs...An adult Rottie could have 2 every 8 hrs. safely.

Pippin is right (as usual!) that Tylenol and Advil, as well as other ibuprofen medications are highly toxic to dogs and can easily kill them.

Baby aspirin or buffered aspirin is okay, but I'd call the vet's office to be absolutely sure it if safe for your particular dog before administering any over the counter human medications, just to be on the safe side.

Good luck, hope his foot is better soon.