Is it safe and ethical to breed a puggle and a pug?

Male is the puggle and the female is the pug

Asked by Member 631885 on May 11th 2008 in Pug

Best Answer

Mattie

Yes it is mostly likely safe (ask your vet to be sure) As far has ethical the puppies would be mutts aka designerdogs personaly I would not breed them due to the large number of dogs on petfinder (171,229 currently) alone on petfinder.com that are dying in shelters or living with a rescue group There are 1,100 pugs on petfinder mostly purebreads that desperatly need homes We are not here to judge but please spay or neuter your dogs please think before breeding as far as the purebread pug breeding with another purebread pug do they follow these guidelines good if you do decide to breed the puggle and the pug are you plannig to sell/keeep the puppies I work with a rescue group and it is very hard to sometimes even get purebreads adopted Breeding takes years of experience and help from other reputable breeders!! Good Luck on whatever route you decide to go on only you can make this tought decision just please think long b4 breedig

Mattie answered on May 11th.

Answers

TK, CGC

The bottom line is you are wanting to purposefully breed a purebred dog and a mutt. The end result will be more mutts. How can you justify putting more dogs into the world when 9 million of them get euthanised every year?

Breeding should only be done by knowledgable, experienced people who have 2 purebred dogs who are stellar examples of their breed. That is the only ethical way to breed, ever.

TK, CGC answered on 5/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Safe? Maybe. Ethical? No. Nothing against mixes you understand, but the only dogs that need to be bred are purebreds that fit the breed standard, have passed health tests (OFA and CERF), is in peak health, over 2 years old, etc.
www.petplace.com

Okay puggle and pug bred together would result in a mutt or mixed breeds. People who usually do this call them "Designer Breeds" which I believe is fad and a cover for breeding mutts. I wouldn't do it. I have a Jack Russell Chiuahua who I love dearly, but could have gotten put down because there are too many unwanted mutts. So basically it's safe, but would you really call that ethical?