Is it possible my dog is allergic to the new kitten in the house?

I have a new stray kitten in the house. He and my pointer/lab mix have gotten along great, but now my dog is scratching a lot and sounds as if she has some congestion and is coughing. I'm wondering if she could be allergic to the cat. I realize the cat could have brought fleas, but I don't think that is the problem and haven't seen any. The dog seems to enjoy playing with the cat, but I don't want it to affect her health. Any ideas?

Asked by Member 1069043 on Nov 7th 2011 in Allergies

Answers

Did this stray kitten have any signs of upper respiratory infection? Runny eyes, sneezing, etc? There is a strain of bordatella that DOES affect both dogs and cats. It is quite possible that the kitten had it and gave it to the dog.
I would definitely get both the dog and the cat checked out by your vet.