♥Tiffy♥

Is it okay to give a my dog a Motrin tablet(800 mg) cut in half?

My baby is about to start her "period" pretty soon and she just doesn't feel good. She is whiny all the time and not as playful. The motrin is for her cramps. I gave her a half already, and she returned back to herself. But this morning, she was in pain again. Is there some kind of "doggie pain meds" that I can buy at like Pet Smart?

Asked by ♥Tiffy♥ on Nov 21st 2007 Tagged medicine, pain in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Motrin, Advil and Tylenol are HIGHLY toxic to dogs.

Sometimes, the vet will recommend a portion of the lowest dosage of a baby asprin in certain circumstances. Even then, you should NEVER give a dog human medication without a direct approval/recommendation from your vet.

Large dogs have been known to be killed by one minimum dose of an NSAID, which is the family of pain killers Motrin belongs to.

Dogs are not like people. They don't typically get "cramps" before or during their menstrual cycle.

The vast majority of dogs are not bothered by their menstrual cycle.

The best thing you can do for Tiffy if you suspect she does suffer from some irritation or physical pain, is to take her to the vet.

If the vet determines that she is suffering from something related to menstruation, then you might consider having her spayed.

There is really no reason not to and you won't have to worry that she's uncomfortable every month.

Jack answered on Nov 21st.

Answers

Lady Ivana (Porscha) Pierrah

I wouldn't have advised you to give her the human meds in the first place. It may not be good for her. Ask your local vet if there is any dog meds out there...

Lady Ivana (Porscha) Pierrah answered on 11/21/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

If she is showing signs of pain, I would not assume what it is. I think you should call your vet, do not give her any medication and tell them what she is experiencing. Do not play doctor with a dog that is in any physical pain.

I have heard motrin is very bad for dogs. However some human meds can be used for dogs,..many vets have okay'd that my dog use benadryl (adult dose) for his bad allergies. I would definitely advise your vet if you think she is not comfortable. Good Luck!! :)

Jasmine

I think you can only get pain meds from a vet. Vets usually don't give pain meds for a lot of things. It's not uncommon for dogs who have surgery to be given pain medicine via injection after the surgery and then sent home with no pain pills. But it all depends.

If you don't want her to be so uncomfortable during her heats, you could always have her spayed. :) There are low-cost clinics if the cost is a problem. ASPCA.org has an online database.

Jasmine answered on 11/21/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Lil Man

NO WAY , NO HOW!!!!! pleae call your vet and ask what they suggest. Doggies don't process the same as we humans do and it can cause renal failure!!!!! I know your only trying to help but when it comes to meds that humans take vs. doggies please ask a professional. It's well worth the phone call as I'm sure you are a good pawrent. T/C ....

Lil Man answered on 11/21/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

NEVER EVER EVER EVER !!!! GIVE YOUR DOG MOTRIN.

I cannot stress this enough. Motrin can seriously damage your dog's internal organs and if it is given in too large a dose or too many times, it can and will kill your dog.

It is extremely easy to overdose on Motrin because of the amount of ibuprofin in each pill and because many products include more than one ibuprofin ingredient. It's best to stay away from Motrin altogether due to these dangers.

If your dog needs a pain medication, you can purchase various brands of canine buffered aspirin at the pet store and from your vet. Make sure that you follow the dosing charts on the bottle and/or consult with your vet in regards to the correct dosage.

In an emergency, you can use human buffered aspirin. Human buffered aspirin should not be given without consulting with your vet first because dogs can get ulcers much easier than people do and aspirin can cause them.

Cisco

i work in a Pharmacy and have had more then 1 person call about thier dog throwing up blood after being given Ibuprophen. DO NOT give it to her, if she needs a little pain relief give her a asprin. NOT MOTRIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cisco answered on 11/21/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bows (Dearly loved forever)

While you should definitely have your dog checked by a vet, there is dog asprin readily available in the pet supply department of my local stores. Here are some do's & don'ts www.vetinfo4dogs.com

Bows (Dearly loved forever) answered on 11/22/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer