Chyna

Is it okay if my dog undergoes her yearly anti-rabies shot even if she's in heat?

We will be having this free anti-rabies vaccination in our place this weekend, and it so happens that my female dalmatian dog, Chyna is in heat. Is she going to be fine if she gets her shot?

Asked by Chyna on Mar 11th 2008 Tagged antirabies in Vaccinations

Answers

Lucky *FOR ADOPTION*

I've never heard of anyone having complications with their dog getting a rabies shots and being in heat. I would ask my vet if I were you just in case, but I'm like 80% sure it's okay...but like I said I coukd be wrong.
Why not have her fixed too? If you're not breeding her (responsibly) or showing her, fixing her will be a big help. She'll live a longer, healthier and happier life

Lucky *FOR ADOPTION* answered on 3/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I had an unaltered cat (who got altered later), and I don't remember but I think that she may have had a shot while in heat once and no complications.

Harley

You have a georgous dog please have her spayed I work with a rescue group and plus 6 to 8 million dogs and cats are euthanized each year because a lack of homes. I understand your feelings for breeding but obviosly you are not an experienced breeder Please spay her :(

Harley answered on 3/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jelly

I think it would depend on the dog. Some dogs have reactions to the rabies shot and other dogs are under the weather when they are in season. If your dog has either of these conditions then I would not do both together. You don't need to add another stress to your dog. If normally your dog is fine with both the rabies shot and being in season then it would likely be okay. I wouldn't give the rabies shot now if you are breeding her this season.

Jelly answered on 3/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer