Is it okay for my 7 mo. boxer boy and 10 week boxer girl to bite at each others ears and jowls?

The 7 mo. male boxer usually starts the ear nipping, it seems as if he is trying to get her to play with him by doing that. And when he over does it she starts biting his jowls and side of his body. They chase each other while they do this. I feel though that biting is not necessary when playing and that they will start scabbing. They are both puppies so I know they are excited to play, it is more him though. Is this normal? I usually say NO and pull them apart and make him sit in this situation. But when she starts walking away he wants to jump at her and start going for her ears again. Is this okay? How else can I teach them no?

Asked by Member 644887 on Jun 19th 2008 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Makia 1996-2008

Puppy's have a tendency to play rough with each other, its the puppy way. You should let them play and only get involved if the playing is escalating into a fight. You can usually tell this by body language and the tone of the growling. Usually dogs will work things out and if you keep interrupting the play they will never establish a pecking order. You can also have a squirt bottle filled with water and if things seem like they are getting out of hand, spray your dogs and give a sharp uh-uh but once again only if the play is escalating into a fight. Maybe a good time to spray your male is when the play is over, she is walking away and he goes for her ears again.

Makia 1996-2008 answered on 6/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Hey I can relate!!! My little sister is only 6 months old and all she does is jump on me and nip at my ears, face, feet, etc, right now she is currently practicing her "Deadly" chock bite. My mom always steps in to reprimand her on her excessive rough play. SOmetimes my mom will seperate us and put her in a time out, she does this or gives her a seperate toy to chew when she gets those "nipping" urges.

Good Luck!