Is it ok to use a Flea/Tick Collar even after I've used a liquid flea/tick treatment?

The reason I ask is even after doing a Flea and Tick treatment I'm still finding ticks attached to my dog in her neck and head area.. I haven't seen a vet...

Asked by Member 976568 on Mar 23rd 2010 in Flea & Tick Prevention

Answers

Teddy

I know people do use them together, but I am afraid of too many chemicals. Having 4 large dogs, it gets expensive using the frontline or advantix, so I now add some garlic to my dogs food. This allows me to treat with chemicals once every 2 to 3 months as opposed to every month. The garlic is great at repelling mosquitos as well as fleas and ticks.
Be careful with using garlic, if too pungent, your dog won't like his food. Just a little on a regular basis is enough to for adequate flea/tick control.
I discussed this method with my vet, and both of the vets at this office approve. I will have to use the frontline or advantix during the spring/summer seasons as I live in the woods where ticks are crawling everywhere, and mosquitos will breed in water filled tree holes.
If you aren't in an area that is so ridden with these pests, the garlic may be enough without any chemicals.
Anyway, this works for me, and my vet is happy and my dogs stay flea/tick free.
It may work for you?

Teddy answered on 3/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I wouldn't encourage it. It's too much chemical overload.

The best way to get those fleas and ticks for good is to manually groom them out with a flea comb. You have to use a comb specifically for fleas. The fleas will become lodged in the comb teeth and you then have to kill them. The easiest way to kill them is to squish them between two fingernails, or a thumbnail and a fingernail. If you want, put scotch tape on your nails to protect them. Fleas have very hard shells and that shell needs to be crushed in order to kill them. Gross, I know. But much better than them being on your dog.

I'd also recommend washing bedding and vacuuming daily for a couple of weeks while you treat and comb for fleas. This will help a lot.

In the meantime, take her to the vet for tick removal if she has that many to remove. In some areas, flea populations are so resistant to common meds they no longer work and you may have to switch products in your area.

Flea/Tick collars are extremely dangerous. Not only are they subjecting your dog to continual poisons, they are also subjecting anyone in your home to them as well. And, in order for the flea or tick to be killed he has to directly come into contact with the collar... not too likely when most of them (fleas, anyway) are around your dog's tail area. And, should the collar come off and get chewed up they can kill your dog before you even know the collar is missing. This happened to a friend's dog when her puppy ate the collar.
Jack has the right idea... except I use a little dish with rubbing alcohol in it... it will kill the fleas and ticks instantly when they are dropped into it, we keep a "tick jar" filled with rubbing alcohol right in our grooming room for ticks and fleas we pick off our grooming dogs. You can also dip a q-tip in the alcohol and touch the flea with it... it will die quickly and fall off the dog. That tiny amount of rubbing alcohol will not hurt your dog.

Petri

I personally wouldn't use one, but if you do want another back-up method for a daily or as needed basis, check out PETfection Bug Spray. www.myPETfection.com. It is 100% Organic and Non-Toxic. You would just spray your dog wherever you feel is necessary and it will prevent bugs from jumping on. It is nice too because it will heal any bites your dog already has. It is what I would recommend.

Petri answered on 3/25/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer