Is it OK to have a German Pinscher as an outdoor dog in a moderate climate with a good size yard and a good dog house?

Asked by Member 979938 on Apr 6th 2010 Tagged germanpinscher, outdoors in German Pinscher

Answers

Small breeds are not much of outside dogs. However, this breed is a medium sized breed and loves to be outside. They will get destructive if left outside or inside for a long time. They will dig, chew, tear up stuff, anything they can get their paws on.

They should have a nice, strong fenced in yard. This breed will run off and chase things when they see it.

Why do you want to leave him outside?

Leaving small dogs outside is not such a good idea. Although, you can leave them outside. Both of my dogs' are outside dogs.

You can give it a try, if he doesn't like it, then bring him back inside.

I would not leave him outside when it is going to rain.

German Pinscher's are very much people dogs. They are extremely smart and in need of pretty constant attention and need things to do. Because of this temperament, they are not a dog that will do well outside alone. They will become bored and as a result of that boredom will become destructive, barkers or pacers, none of which will make a good pet, much less make a happy dog. If you are looking for an outdoor dog, this is not a good choice of breeds. This breed is much better suited to being a dog who is with someone all the time, especially if that someone is quite active with hiking, running, or doing some type of performance work such as agility, flyball, obedience and the like.

I would have to say no to this there is alot of things that go into having a dog outside.
And most of the time not all dogs can do it. The doberman is very social and needs to be inside for many reasons.
The only time I would say yes is if the kennel was extremely breed appropriate, air conditioned for hot months and just a tight all around place for him to be. It would have to be a very professional style kennel with plenty of opportunity to get leg exercise as this breed is a very athletic animal. And plenty of time with people and home life.
I just can't say yes. sorry.

Just to clarify, it sounds like this is German Pinscher, not a Doberman.

Dobies share some of the same lineage, but they are two separate and distinct breeds.

As for living outside, I'm not a supporter of any dog living outside, regardless of coat or weather conditions.

Dogs are animals who thrive around their family and who suffer when isolated from them. Why banish them outdoors when they so clearly want to be living inside with us?

Questions like this confuse me so much. Why even have a dog if you don't want him to be a loving member of the family? Spend all that money on feeding a dog that serves no purpose?

Brutus

I strongly disagree with this. In fact, I don't even like when people keep their dogs outdoors. German Pinschers are small breeds. They probably couldn't live outside. They also have black coats, which absorbs sunlight, making it hotter for them if it is summer. Something may also happen.. she/he could get "dognapped" or escape. They may find something outside and get sick, or choke on it. The list could go on. Please, if you can, try to keep the Pinscher indoors when possible. Good luck!

Brutus answered on 4/9/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer