Is it OK to give my dogs smoked ham hock bones?

Asked by Member 805988 on Feb 18th 2009 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Brutus

Smoked bones are still considered cooked bones and I hope you know cooked bones aren't safe for dogs.
Cooked bones splinter and can harm your pup. So throw that bone in a crock pot with some broth, and veggies and make a nice soup for YOU! :-)

Brutus answered on 2/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Lady

Not necessarily. Splinters can get stuck so if you do feed them that, be very careful, watch them.

Lady answered on 2/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Zackintosh CJ

No. Cooked bones splinter and chip, like Brutus said. Give your dog a RAW bone. Raw meat is not dangerous to dogs like it is to people.
If you don't want to feed raw, then you can get a rawhide bone and SUPERVISE him.

Zackintosh CJ answered on 2/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I'm going to answer in two parts because it won't all fit in one. I am not a vet tech or veterinarian but I've done A LOT of research on whether or not to give your dog bones (cooked or raw). There seem to be two schools of thought. The ever popular "cooked bones splinter and hurt a dog or they can choke on a bone" and the "of course you can give your dog bones, it's natural it keeps their teeth clean". I tend to take the "naturalist" route. I have always given all my dogs bones, raw and cooked. Sure they can choke on a bone but they can choke on ANYTHING just like you can. My cousin is a vet tech with many, many years of experience in emergency vet care and she says it's extremely rare that they'd choke on a bone and more likely that they'll choke on a chew toy. It's like saying you don't want to learn to drive because people get in car accidents. Contrary to popular belief (in my experience) cooked bones don't splinter like most people imagine they would.