Brandine

Is it OK to give my dogs frozen chicken wings or any frozen meat?

I would like to give my dogs some "fresh"meat in addition to their kibble. For personal reasons I do not want to touch/cut the meat. I was wondering if it is ok to give frozen chicken wings?

Asked by Brandine on Sep 27th 2008 in Raw Food

Answers

i would think it would be able to give the dog meat, with no bones, and i would cook the meat. as for not wanting to touch it i don't know but you should shop the meat up into smaller parts.

It is perfectly o.k. to give your dog raw chicken wings with the bone included...It is cooked bones that splinter.
I wouldn't give frozen chicken wings...Let them thaw & give them...My husband doesn't like to touch raw meat either & uses a rubber glove or bag over his hand.
It is advised that you feed raw meat & kibble 12 hours apart as they digest at different rates.
For more advise try the raw feeding forum on Dogster...Here is a link for you.
www.dogster.com

Actually, I feed my dog the raw diet currently. I thaw out his food, don't cook it, and give it to him with the bones. The bones work like a tooth-brush and help clean his teeth. Cooking meat takes away many of the nutrients that could benefit a dog.
Yes, you can give him chicken wings, but thaw it out first.
My other dog doesn't get fed the raw diet because I can't afford to feed both dogs the raw diet. But she does get raw snacks like chicken feet, livers, "scraps" from Treader's meal, etc.
However, before feeding the raw diet a person needs to do their research to learn how to feed it, how much to feed, and what to feed.
Rawmeatybones.com was one of the best places that I got my info from. Also, in the raw forums on Dogster, Gio's thread "so you are interested in feeding raw" has many helpful links listed in it. Even if you won't be feeding the whole kit 'n' kaboodle, it's always best to research it.

Mocha Bear (Mokie), VGG, KPA,

I agree that it's fine to feed your dog raw chicken wings.

I don't think feeding it frozen is a big deal though. My dogs are raw fed, and they get all their meals frozen.

Mocha Bear (Mokie), VGG, KPA, answered on 10/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

While a raw diet is more natural and actually is good for the teeth and coat and everything else, most raw supporters do not recommend feeding raw AND kibble. The reason being is that the stomach needs a more acidic environment to digest the raw food, while an alkaline environment to digest the kibble. So the stomach overkills with the acid when you feed kibble leading to: basically the equivalent of heartburn.
Feed one or the other and committ! If you cook the chicken first (obviously boneless) then its fine!

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 10/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I would say only for very small dogs should you ever feed a chicken wing. A general rule of thumb is to feed any bone-containing meat roughly as large as your dog's head to avoid any choking hazard.

I have not heard anything bad about frozen or partially frozen meat; it is a good texture and really cleans dogs' teeth.

I assume you are referring to raw meat - never feed any cooked bones - as others mentioned they may splinter. Also I'd advise against feeding raw and cooked together due to different rates of digestion.

If you are toying with the idea of raw I suggest doing research first to ensure your dog gets proper nutrition. There is yahoo group "rawfeeding" with lots of info and dogaware.com has some good articles as well.