Is it ok to feed my dog who is diabetic sugar free soy milk? He loves it with his weight control oatmeal!

Asked by Member 940662 on Jan 23rd 2010 Tagged soymilk, diabeticdog in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Chocolate

Your dog is diabetic so he doesn't need any grains or soy. They are packed with carbs they don't need. Feed a good low-carb/low fat grain-free dog food and limit treats to unseasoned meat,eggs,and fish.

Chocolate answered on 1/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I think your vet can give a more reliable answer than the ingredients obsessed on the net.

I agree that oatmeal is probably not the best thing for your dog.

While oatmeal is good for weight loss in healthy dogs, it turns to sugar in the body when it's metabolized.

If your vet put your dog on oatmeal, perhaps get a second opinion. And if you just decided to feed him this on your own, this is very dangerous especially with a diabetic dog.

Aside from that, soy milk is not good for dogs and can be dangerous. Dogs don't have the ability to properly digest soy milk and it can be harmful, so I'd not give him any of that.

Definitely consult your vet about feeding him oatmeal. That can absolutely make his diabetes worse.

I agree with Chocolate and Jack. A vet's opinion is a good idea. However, keep in mind that vets are people, too. They are not all-powerful nor all-knowing. General practitioner vets know little about nutrition and what they do learn is often supplied by a major kibble supplier. (Such as Hill's.)
As such, while I do ask my dog's vet for nutritional advice, I don't follow it just because the vet says so. Asking the vet is only a small part of my research. In the end, I may or may not take the vet's advice.
Also, you'll notice that different vets will often have differing advice. Which vet to follow, hmmm?

Maverick

I would call your vet to assure that it is ok for your dog.

Maverick answered on 1/29/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer