is it ok for new born puppies to be away from the mother and if so for how long?

she just had her pups and it's cold out side and i want to keep them inside but i don't want to keep the mother inside. should i bring her in every now and then so they can feed or should i just bring her in the house too?

Asked by Member 755215 on Oct 19th 2008 in Health & Safety

Answers

Sadie

I don't really have an answer for you...but my gut feeling is...she needs to be with them at all times...especially if they are newborns. Is there anyway you could put them in a closet or some part of the house that is warm and secluded. I really think they need her there most of the time in the beginning. As they get older she can leave them for longer periods but right now she needs to be with them as they feed pretty frequently and she needs to keep them clean and warm.

Sadie answered on 10/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

The puppies need the mother if at all possible. The mother has to be with the puppies.
The mother can leave them for a few minutes, but no longer than that.
cookiemiller.tripod.com

Are you crazy? You actually want to take newborn puppies away from their mother and bring her in ever now and then. The mother is there to make those poor babies feel safe, teach them things they need to know and feed them when she feels they need to be fed. The poor mother if you take her babies away, she will be confused, stressed and concerned. How dare you even consider such a thing. I am so irritated at people like you who allow their pets to be bred and don't even have the heart or common sense to know whats right and wrong. If I knew where you were I would report you so fast......

The pups NEED to be with their mother!!...Not only for nourishment but for warmth & nurturing & learning acceptable dog behavior...Please have mama dog fixed instead of adding the the plight of unwanted & homeless dogs!!!
Please read this site!
www.woodhavenlabs.com

They should all be inside. Please don't separate the mom from the pups and please don't leave newborn puppies outside in the cold.

♥baet♥

you can't bring them inside the house unless the mother of the puppies are the one who brings them. because the mother of the puppies might get mad at you.,

♥baet♥ answered on 10/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Bandit

Absolutely Not! The mother has to stay with her puppies at all times, for the next few weeks! She needs to have access to water and food at all times!The only time the mother should be away from her puppies, is to go potty ! The puppies need her there to bond, feed, keep them warm, and teach them certain things, that only the mother can teach them. I'm sorry, but if you do take the mother away from her puppies and do what you are planning to do, the puppies will die! That's an insane idea, and the absolute wrong thing to do and I really hope you reconsider and you do bring her inside!What you are planning is also considered to be cruelty! Why are you keeping your female outside in the cold weather for in the first place. How would you like to be stuck outside in the cold, all alone?Dogs are meant to be kept indoors.They are pack animals and need to be inside, with the family!Do your female a big favor, and as soon as the vet says it's safe, have her Spayed, so this never happens again!

Bandit answered on 10/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I'm just curious why the mother is outside to begin with, and why you are letting her reproduce if she isn't a member of your family. *shrug*

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 10/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Fenris

I think everyone needs to calm down and stop casting judgement. No one knows her situation. Don't be so rude guys.

Fenris answered on 10/27/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

how dare you even keep your dog outside in any weather you should not have animals you are a hateful person why don't you just give birth and sit outside to your husband brings you in you hateful person!!!!

for all you wastes out there that said not to seperate your pups from its mother "GO TO HELL"!!!!!!!!! you's must be cooked!!!!!!!! i hate you all my puppies are dead!!!!
I listened to your stupid comments and 3 pups died because the mother counld't keep them warm enough. previous nights i seperated them and put them in the bath room under a heat lamp and they were fine. a vet will tell you that you can seperate them while its cold. this person your responding to is in the same situation as me as i cant keep my mother inside either. think before you's write something.