Is it normal for my dog to want to stay in her crate constantly?

I adopted her last Monday, she was also spayed Monday as well. Chiyo is absolutely wonderful, she loves attention, extremely smart she already is learning to sit on command and is very affectionate. Though she is rather fearful of men and loud noises. She is a husky/ German shepherd mix. She always wants to be in her crate and she also gets very unhappy if I'm not within her line of sight, she will run searching for me whining loudly. I was wondering if there was anything I could do to help her become more comfortable in her home? Or will she just take a few weeks to adjust and want to be out once she feels better?

Asked by Member 1154362 on Feb 9th 2013 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

It will take time for her to adjust and her crate is a safe place to be.

Gracie

You can buy plug in diffusers for calmness that might help. One brand is called comfort zone and I've heard lavender is good too.

There is also something called a thunder jacket I've heard can help with anxiety.

Gracie answered on 2/9/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maggie    RIP  1998-2010

I would think that she just needs time to adjust to her new home. It sounds like she went through a lot of changes on Monday. Just give her time and let her come out of her crate when she feels comfortable.

Maggie RIP 1998-2010 answered on 2/10/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer