Is it normal for dog that is pregnant to bleed?

I have a female 3 yr.old german shepherd. She has had two previous litters that were planned but this one was definently not. I really dont know when she had her heat cycle. But she is huge and her lower stomach is droopy. Also it is hard. her last litter was born on Sept. 16. Also, she is bleeding from the vaginal area. Is this normal or does she need to seek vet care? Please help. God bless.

Asked by Member 784533 on Dec 29th 2008 Tagged gesttation, labor in Pregnancy

Answers

No it is not normal & yes she needs a vet a.s.a.p.!
3 breedings in 3 yrs. is too much!...I'd have her spayed as much for her health as the fact there are enough b.y.b. bred dogs in shelters in need of homes!
I hope you are selling the pups on spay & neuter contracts so as to not further perpetuate this cycle!
Please read this!...Substitute German Shepherd for Labs...It is the same!
www.woodhavenlabs.com

No, bleeding is never normal. The previous poster is correct - dogs need to be AT LEAST 2 YEARS OLD BEFORE THEIR FIRST LITTER - male or female. Having three litters in three years is not okay for your dog, and could be why she is experiencing problems. Please spay and neuter your dogs. Dogs do NOT need to be bred and should ONLY be bred to better the PUREBRED (AKC registered) breed as long as they meet the appropriate requirements (properly health tested, champion lines or titled themselves, meet the breed standard, are in the hands of quality and professional breeders). I am sorry for sounding harsh, but you didn't do your research before you bred her twice before or you would have known to wait, or not even breed at all. Please seek medical assistance ASAP. Best of luck to you.

I agree with the others completely. Best of wishes.

cookiemiller.tripod.com