is it normal for a female dog throw up when in heat can she be spayed while in heat

Asked by Member 511476 on Oct 7th 2007 in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

Jett  12/25/97-4/25/08

I used to work at a vet & we spayed dogs in heat all the time. Some offices may charge a little more if they are, but some don't. Go ahead & get her fixed-- it's a lot easier than trying to CONSTANTLY monitor her for 3 weeks and/or caring for a litter of pups. I'm not aware of heat causing vomitting, but all of my pets have been spayed well before going into heat, so I'm not an expert on that. Good luck!

Jett 12/25/97-4/25/08 answered on 10/7/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Mr Murphy Esq

My vets would not spay while in heat. Uterus is harder to deal with and a spay is a hysterectomy.
It's hot here, so some vomiting isn't too surprising. If her output is liquid I would monitor to make sure input is sufficient. If it is solids I wouldn't think it was heat cycle related. If it continues 24 hrs or goes bloody I would take the lady to the vet.

Mr Murphy Esq answered on 10/7/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

KAHLUA

Vomiting is not really normal. Please watch out for a fever, if she gets a fever it could be very serious. Kahlua got a fever when she was in heat, and it turned out to be pyometra, and it almost killed her. She had to have emergency surgery on the spot, if i was you, id go to the vet, just to be safe.

KAHLUA answered on 10/7/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer