Annie

Is it normal for a 3 month old Belgian Malinois puppy to still have one of its ears down?

One of my Bel Mal puppy's ear is still down and it feels softer than the other (raised) ear. Is this normal? At What age should the ears be already raised?

Asked by Annie on Apr 9th 2008 Tagged puppy, belgianmalinois, belgian in Puppies

Answers

Charlie

Prick-eared dogs usually have their ears up around 3-4 months. Check with your vet if they dont stand up after 5 it could be a nutrient deficency. You could also try taping the ear.

Charlie answered on 4/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Felix-Rescue for Adoption! AVA

Depends on the breeding and size of parents. If your dog comes from working lines, the ears will stay floppy longer and you may notice it switching ears. With the show pups where small ears are desired, the ears are standing by 8 weeks. It really depends on the breeding though. I wouldn't be too concerned as most Mali's ears stand eventually. I haven't seen too many Malis with a flop ear. Wait another month and go from there. Also, some dogs of other breeds have to get a stitch put in the cartilage to make it hold. But, I've only heard of this going on in show dogs with long cuts like Boxers, Danes, etc. No worries, I think your baby should be fine and you can always contact the breeder. He/She would know better at what rate their pups mature and what traits are expressed, etc.

Felix-Rescue for Adoption! AVA answered on 4/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Dallas

yes that is normal. one thing you might do, and i know it sounds weird, is glue the tips together over his head. it will look strange for a couple weeks, but it will help. this is something that shiloh shepherd breeders do quite often because the ears get heavy and it practically insures that both ears will stand up after the dog has "grown into them" use super glue or something similar and then as the fur sheds it will come off in a couple weeks.

Dallas answered on 4/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer