Is it legal to shoot dogs in all states? What are the stipulations?

For example, does the dog have to pose a threat, be on your property, be wearing a collar, etc.?

Asked by Member 570260 on Feb 15th 2008 Tagged dog, shooting, legal, laws in Animal Welfare

Best Answer

I can't speak for everyone else, but personally, I would like more information about your situation in order to give you not just a general opinion but concrete information.

Generally speaking, the laws applicable to shooting a dog stipulate that the dog must be an immediate threat to either yourself, your family, your animals, or your livestock.

These kinds of laws are in place mainly to allow farmers to protect their livestock (cows, goats, horses, etc.) from predators - including the roaming neighbor dog who may try to kill one or may send them running into the fence, injuring them.

They are not in place so every Tom, Dick, and Harry can shoot his irresponsible neighbor's roaming dog.

If there is NO IMMEDIATE THREAT to you, your pets, family, and livestock, deal with it the proper way - by calling animal control or, if you live in a rural area not covered by AC, the local Sheriff.

Abby answered on Feb 15th.

Answers

Gizmo

Why on EARTH would you want to shoot a dog? If there's a stray dog in your area bothering you then you should call your local shelter/pound and let them pick it up. I don't think it really matters whether or not there are laws against it because if you shot someone's dog and they found out, they could take you to court-and just might take some of your money or have you put in jail for awhile. PLEASE don't be cruel to animals. To me it's almost as bad as child abuse.

Gizmo answered on 2/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

PEBBLES

Why would you even want to ask this question? Im hoping maybe your asking cause someone might have shot at your dog and not that you want to know your rights about shooting someones dog!If its the first not sure check with your police dept. If its the second why would you even want to shoot a dog. There are plenty of places to call that will pick up a lost, or dog just running loose on your property. Call these people first if thats the problem. Dont want to misjudge you but your question is not clear!!

PEBBLES answered on 2/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Charley

Oh, I'm so sorry someone tried to shoot your dog! ( I can only assume this is the case; SURELY you are not considering actually shooting a dog.) You should definitely report this to your local law enforcement. More importantly, please try to do what you can to ensure that your dog doesn't wander onto someone else's property. That's probably the best way to keep him/her safe. Good luck!

Charley answered on 2/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO SHOOT A DOG!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!??!?!??!?!?!?!?!
It is legal to shoot an animal that is threatening you, but do NOT be like that guy who shot a dog that he thought was a Pit Bull, which was in the guy's neighbor's yard and was NOT threatening anybody!!!!!!!!!! Just because an animal growls, it is not a threat!!! Sometimes dogs have good reasons to attack you. Like to protect their master and his family, or if he feels that you are going to harm him. If a dog just strolls up to you, and starts attacking you for no reason at all, THEN you can shoot it. If you don't have a gun with you, roll up into a ball and cover your head with your hands. If you have something that the dog seems to want, throw away from you. You can also hit the dog on the top of the nose with the edge of your hand. Unless he was trained to attack (those dogs don't respond to pain), he will stop for a few seconds in which you can make a quick get-away.

Abby NPC ~ CGC, TDI

Unless it was YOUR dog that got shot...why would you even ask that question? Especially to a group of avid dog lovers.

Abby NPC ~ CGC, TDI answered on 2/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Pedro

The above posters have kicked you in the right direction! Let me 1st say I hope that you have not done this.And I hope that it is not your dog that has been shot.I guess we will know if you repost us the info that it was your dog.If you don't repost then we will probably assume that you were the one doing the shooting. If you have a dog that has been running loose and causing trouble then you reallt should call the local dog control. Just remember that it is not the dogs fault that it's owner is a moron and doesn't properly take care of his/her dog.If you think you want to pull out a gun and shoot something you may want to consider taking it up with the owner of the dog not the poor dog that is after all JUST BEING A DOG!!!!
WOW took alot to bite that tongue and not get a washing on this one!pat myself on my back

Pedro answered on 2/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Miss Buddie

Even if it's legal, it doesn't make it right.

Miss Buddie answered on 2/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

George

It is against the law to shoot a dog. Animal control should called if the dog is posing a threat. Please do not shoot the dog. Try to call the owner. That is someone's baby.

George answered on 2/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer