Is it important to give my dog vitamins?

Emi is a Bolognese.....year and a half old. I make her food with chicken b reast, green or yellow beans, brown rice, cheese. sometimes scrambled egg mixed in. Does she require a vitamin supplement. She eats no kibble and won't.

Asked by Member 607817 on Sep 2nd 2008 Tagged food, vitamins in Vitamin Supplements

Answers

As long as she is being fed good food for her she does not need any vitamin suppliments.

Do you mean that she's eating her food along with the chicken breast, beans, rice cheese and egg?

If so, then she's probably getting enough vitamins from her own dog food.

If you're not feeding her any dog food, you need to not give her vitamins as much as adjust her food so that she gets the vitamins and crucial minerals she needs. Dogs aren't like us, they need a specific and complex variety of things in their diet.

Many people feed pickier eatiers only wet dog food, and if you choose a high grade food, then that's just fine. You don't have to feed her kibble.

But, if all you are feeding her is the people food you mention, it certainly isn't balanced as is and it can even be fatty enough to caus problems like pancreatitis which can be fatal.

I would consult a vet to figure out a more balanced plan for her.

I know you want the best for her, but feeding like this is a tricky business.

Odie-Wan-Kenobi  CGC

You probably don't need to feed her vitamins. Usually as long as you feeding her good quality food (which it sounds like you are) than she won't need to take vitamins. If you unsure though than ask a vet.

Odie-Wan-Kenobi CGC answered on 9/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Peter Parker

If you are looking for a vitamin...."Vitaglo Daily Greens" by Halo are a wondeful Multi-Vitamin/Mineral Supplement. My dog eats them as if they are treats. You should ask your vet if these would be a good match with your dogs diet.

Peter Parker answered on 9/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

There is really not enough information about your dog's diet in your post for us to judge whether your dog needs a vitamin supplement or not.

You said that you make her food along with chicken breast, beans, rice, and cheese - what food is she getting that you're mixing this in with, since you said she is not eating kibble? Or did you mean that her DIET consists of chicken breast, beans, brown rice and cheese? If that's the case, you should know that this is not a balanced diet by any stretch of the imagination.

A good multivitamin isn't necessarily needed, especially if you have a healthy dog who is eating a balanced, quality food, although it certainly doesn't hurt.

Lily

You'll get more info posting in the Food &Nutrition Forum
No, that is not a balanced diet for a dog. A dog can be fed like that no more than 2 weeks.

Dr Pitcairn's Book of Natural Health for Dogs & Cats has recipes & a supplementation recipe.

Dr. Pitcairn's Healthy Powder

2 cups nutritional (torula) yeast
1 cup lecithin granules
1/4 cup kelp powder
1/4 cup bone meal (or 9.000 milligrams calcium or 5 teaspoons eggshell powder)
1,000 milligrams vitamin C (ground) or 1/4 teaspoon sodium ascorbate (optional)
Mix all ingredients together in a 1 quart container & refrigerate. Add to each recipe.

I had to use kelp capsules - could have ground them - when I was homecooking for my dogs. I used my cooking for 50% of their diet. The other half was a good kibble, but I still supplemented the home cooked part. Sometimes, I added a vitamin, too. Not always.

We all want long, healthy lives for our furkids. Proper supplementation will help.

Happy cooking

Lily answered on 9/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer