Buddy

is it good to give my dog acidophilus daily?

Asked by Buddy on Feb 16th 2008 in Vitamin Supplements

Best Answer

Unless your vet recommended this for some specific reason, there really isn't a need to give a dog this supplement.

High quality dog food brands like Wellness, Innova, Eagle Pack, etc. (note: NOT Cesars or other grocery store brands) have a mix of all the minerals and vitamins a dog needs for optimum health.

In my opinion, there shouldn't be a need to feed any supplements as long as you are feeding the dog a high quality food. Again, if there's a specific reason your vet may have recommened, then that is a different story.

Dogs have much, much different digestive and nervous systems than people and I would advise against giving any additional supplements unless you really, really know what you're doing OR you have close guidance and supervision (including monitoring of blood work) with a trusted vet. It is all to easy to cause an imbalance.

Jack answered on Feb 16th.

Answers

Unless your dog needs it, I wouldn't give it.

Joey gets it with his food (he eats some raw, mostly home cooked though) only because he has a serious digestive disorder. I wouldn't generally recommend giving it to a dog who eats commercial dog food either- because the point of acidophilius is to help the body absorb more nutrients- and I worry too much that it would also cause the absorbance of the unhealthy chemicals they put into dog food 9no matter what food you buy, it's going to have some sort of preservative in it!)

Lily

Both of Lily's foods (previous Premium Edge, current Canidae) have it listed as an ingredient, so to give more would be overkill, unless Buddy is battling a yeast infection. I do occasionally slip Lily a live capsule as a preventative, because there is Candida yeast in the house. Under normal circumstances, there would be no reason. When her tummy is under control she gets Stonyfield Farms Organic yogurt daily. Probably a better way to get the acidophilus.

Lily answered on 2/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer