Bella

Is it common to draw blood for labwork from a dogs jugular vein in her neck?

Asked by Bella on Mar 9th 2010 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

My vet never did, but I don't see a problem.

Rambo

I know that if they have a hard time keeping a dog still when trying to take it from their arm they will try for the jugular

Rambo answered on 3/9/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sometimes they do this, but it's not actually the jugular that they are puncturing, it's usually any number of large veins in the mid-neck region.

It depends on the amount of blood that needs to be drawn. Jack has titer testing done every year because he's allergic to the rabies vaccine. For that test, they do take blood from his neck. This is because, I was told, that they need more and it's easier to get here. Regular blood tests are usually taken from his front leg or shoulder.

So, it's not uncommon, but it's more than likely NOT the jugular vein they are drawing from as that would be potentially dangerous.

We almost always use a jugular punch in Frenchies because the leg is so difficult to block off. And, yes, they do actually use the jugular vein... it is not uncommon at all, and no more dangerous than any other vein for a blood draw.

♥Molly♥

when babe was at the vet, her veins kept calapsing in her legs, so they just drew blood from her jugular vein. i think it is pretty common for the to do that.

♥Molly♥ answered on 3/9/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

usually as a result of a dog being dehydrated and no other source immediately. It does sound strange.
I had some strange stuff like that at the clinic that we went to for a shelter dog we got and I won't be back.
This doctor freaked me out like that, he gave a shot in the flank. And I could tell it really hurt our dog so I won't go back. I don't know if it is some new age way of doing things but it sounds just as scary as that experience we had.
The front of the neck is more sensitive then the back of the neck or the leg.
ick.
The only thing I can think of is they needed more then one tube of blood and that is the fastest and biggest vein in the dog's anotomy.
not sure. ask them.

I have worked in a vet office for 5 years and am a technician. Some doctors prefer the jugular vein, yes that is what they draw from, because it is the best flowing vein in the body. even when, especially when, an animal is dehydrated the Dr goes for it. i prefer to use the legs in dog and cats only because i am more comfortable with it and it is easier to restrain an animal and draw form the leg.