is it bad my dog likes sitting on my lap?

well my beagle lovess sittin/sleeping on my lap like she brings food n toys n eats or plays with them while shes on my lap but sumtyms she just sits on me...i was just wondering if its a bad habit cuz of the dominance thing dogs have...:p

Asked by Member 872576 on Nov 27th 2009 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Isy

My dogs sit on me all the time, and they're Danes! Be happy yours is under 100#s! She loves you and wants to be near you. Allow what you're comfortable with. Make sure it's on your terms and don't let her take over. I wouldn't let my dogs eat on my lap. That just sounds like a mess, maybe if they were sick...

Isy answered on 11/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Katie

Hi Boo!

The "dominance" theory is actually based on old research done in the 1950s with captive wolf populations - not a very close match with our domesticated dog buddies, especially because the wolves didn't know each other. Our dogs share our lives, and we can learn how to be good, gentle, firm leaders without any dominance theory getting in the way of the relationship.

You can read more modern research about dog behavior in The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell, Ph.D. I also highly recommend books on puppy raising and training by Dr. Ian Dunbar. He pioneered puppy training classes because he saw that the younger the dog, the more open to socialization and new things in the environment.

Bottom line? Boo is fine cuddling with you. If she gets annoying, put her down. Simple. No dominance theory needed - dogs do what works for them. If she wants to cuddle and you have things to do, just let her know by walking away. I think it's great that she wants to sit on your lap!

Katie answered on 11/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

♥Molly♥

agreed with the others (: unless it starts bothering you. but otherwise let boo sleep on your lap. i think it cute when dogs sleep on ur lap. my sisters dog arlowe ALWAYS is sleeping on our laps.

♥Molly♥ answered on 11/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Seth

I find it very comforting to have a dog sleep on my lap. Or even my larger dogs i like to have them sleep next to me. So i guess if you dont mind it is ok. But i do agree it should be on your terms.

Seth answered on 11/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

that's not dominance.
Try being layed on by a really big dog for a belly rub.
My shepherd use to sit in my lap but she outgrew it.
I got dogs on my face, my lap, my feet, I would be feeling out of place if one wasn't on me.

Maxi

I think that's great to have a dog on your lap as long as you invited him up. There's nothing more tranquil and blood pressure lowering than sharing some afternoon downtime with your favorite four legged friend. (Trying burying your face in his fir in the middle of a hug. Best thing in the world.)
You're girl, by looking at her picture looks like she'd be well into that.
It's gonna be cozy overload, you'll see.

Maxi answered on 11/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Odin CGC

I guess I will be the only bad guy here and say I don't think letting your dog sit in your lap is a good idea. It puts the dog in an equal position as you and while many dogs may never develop problems from this plenty will. Its always better safe than sorry. You will not offend your dog by not letting her up unless she already views herself as an equal.

It needs to be made clear that Patricia McConnell does explain that being a benevolent leader is best however in her book The Other End of The Leash and her booklet Leader of the Pack explains that rough housing games like tug of war and wresling should be avoided because prevention is always better.

Same thing here you don't want to put any confussions in youir dogs mind.

Also, her books make it clear that even if you just want to pet your dog they should come to you not you to them. All of these methods are easy fool proof ways some one can do to safely gain a leadership role in their home while avoiding confussion.

Odin CGC answered on 11/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dexter

Haha I have three Great Danes each one weighing approximately 75-80kgs and they love sitting next to or on me!

Seriously I don't go with the dominance theory - just enjoy your dog and be grateful she trusts and loves you enough to want to be so close to you.

I love sitting with my Daneys and find it extremely relaxing.

Dexter answered on 12/9/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer