is it alright for a patterdale terrier to live permanatel out side in a kennel all year round in uk

Asked by Member 623541 on Apr 19th 2008 in Patterdale Terrier

Answers

In my opinion- no, not really.

Dogs are family animals that should be with their people! They really like the company of humans, which they don't get if they are kept outside all the time.

Maybe keep him outside during the day then bring him in at night?

Daisy~The Angel By My Side~

My dogs are all outside dogs. (Not my idea) They do fine. They get a lot af attention though, and they are not tied up or kenneled. I think that as long as your dog has shelter in bad weather and PLENTY of attention he should be OK. I would advise bringing him in the house or in the garage in very cold or very hot weather. Good Luck, and please make sure he gets enough attention.

Daisy~The Angel By My Side~ answered on 4/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If you must, then OK, but it is best to have ALL dogs living inside.

Cassie

I have three dogs, they live inside the house. When it is nice they can go out and play but they can come in when ever they want. They are never left outside all night.

Cassie answered on 4/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The Beach Boys (pups)

It depends on you, the person.
What is your personality like, and your lifestlye? Why do you want a dog, if it is going to live permenantly outside?
Having a dog live in a kennel 24/7 can cause it to become neurotic.
Do you plan, at any point, taking the dog out and exercising/socializing it, or do you want a puppy in a box you can look at?
These are some questions you need to think about, and evaluate why you really want the dog outside.
Is it so you don't have to train it?
Is someone allergic?
Is shedding the problem?
Does everyone in the family AGREE to having the dog?
Dogs are pack animals and NEED to be with their people, or other dogs. It's in their nature. Having a dog isolated for 24/7 with minimum contact is not fair to the dog. It will only cause problems for both you, and the dog itself.
If it MUST live outside (which in most cases I do not agree to) you need to be sure it has PROPER food, shelter and water, and must be able to reach it

The Beach Boys (pups) answered on 4/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer