is ham bad for a dog?

I usually don't feed my dog table scraps, but it was easter and I figured a few pieces of ham wouldn't hurt. A day later he's not eating at all, listless hardly moving or walking around and now is coughing like he's got kennel cough again. He spent all of yesterday not eating at all and plain flat acts like he doesn't feel good.

Asked by Member 301388 on Apr 10th 2012 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Two problems with feeding ham. The first is that it is much too salty for dogs... this can create a huge issue as the poor dog tries to balance out the salt and fluid ratios within the body's cells.
Perhaps more serious, in fact, actually a veterinary emergency, is pancreatitis caused from the dog trying to digest the excess fat contained in the ham.
I would get your guy to a vet immediately and find out what is going on...pancreatitis is very serious and can be fatal if not treated.

I will add, though, that feeding a dog pork without the seasonings and such should be fine as long as you watch the fat content.