Sheba

Is gravy train bad for my dog's ?

I had a comment on my dog 's page that gravy train is not good for dog's is this true?

Asked by Sheba on Aug 4th 2009 in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

Saydie

Hi Sheba,
I used to eat Gravy train all the time. My momma mixed it with warm water and it made it an ever so good gravy that complemented the kibble Oh so Well. Now its not the most wholesome or best quality food around but it is an acceptable dog Food. Just make sure no extra weight is gained. Hope all it well.
Love Saydie <3

Saydie answered on 8/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Yes, it is true.
Go to www.dogfoodanalysis.com to see how different foods rate.

Daisy

Corn, soybean meal, beef and bone meal, animal fat, animal digest, salt, cellulose gum, caramel color, potassium chloride, bone phosphate, choline chloride, minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamin mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement), dried beef stock, red 40, yellow 5, yellow 6, blue 2, BHA (preservative), tocopherols (preservative), citric acid (preservative).
Its bad and has been in many recalls. No quality meat, corn, food coloring, caramel color, weird chemicaly stuff. Sorry but cant see anything I like about the stuff. :(

Daisy answered on 8/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Chances are, it is just fine. Yes, it rates low at dogfoodanalysis. Of course, the ratings there are based on speculation about the ingredients. What makes a dog food good or bad is whether it has the nutrients dogs need, not where they come form. I have no trouble with the idea that some of what goes into some dog foods doesn't sound very good to me. But I judge a food by how healthy the dogs are that eat it. The professionals at service dog schools choose to feed their highly valuable dogs common brands of food that do very poorly on all the speculative ratings. The dogs are very healthy. Of course those knowing little of the programs post all sorts of rubbish in response to that fact.

If your dog is doing well on Gravy Train, I would stick to it. No matter how hard I dig, I can't find any facts to back most of the opinions I see here and elsewhere on the net. Even if misinformation is posted a 1000 times, it is still misinformation.

Pippin and Daisy gave some good advice.

It's not misinformation to recommend that people feed their dogs a food that uses the best and freshest ingredients available. It's common sense. It's also not misinformation to suggest that people feed foods where a high percentage of the ingredients are foods that dogs are actually meant to eat such as meat. I've not seen misinformation given here.

Don't be fooled what you feed your pup is very important to say different is laughable. There are plenty of studies that show a diet with quality meat ingredients and quality ingredients over all do have an effect on the health of our pets. Just as diet influences our health it does our pets as well. All one needs is a simple understanding of the dogs digestive system to know why these cheap fillers aren't needed. Dogs don't need grains or carbs. There are several places one can find this simple information NRC, Whole dog journal, and many of the big box companies have put out information showing that dogs do best with lots of quality meat. Sadly they don't take their own advice and still produce crappy food. Check out the Nutrition forums here (all of them the raw, home cooked, and kibble) www.dogster.com

I do not claim to be an expert in this area, nor have I ever, but I'd say yes--it is a very bad food. The very best source to get a dog's nutrition from is from ingredients it would eat in the wild. This means picking a meat-based food, one with meat--not a meat by product--as the first ingredient. That's the main requirement. Even better if it includes no grains, corn, soy, or wheat. The food should ideally have some meat other than chicken. Chicken is fine, but by itself, it's very watery and by the time it's cooked, there's not much chicken left. Making the amount of meat lower than it is listed on the ingredients.
If Gravy Train is working for you, it may not hurt to stick to it. But neither will it likely hurt to switch.

Dog nutrition tends to be a highly controversial subject. Both sides tend to make good points, and both sides do their share of propaganda. As such, all we can do is look at both sides equally and choose for ourselves. Relying on "experts" completely is a good way to get tricked.

Kayak

Gravy train is the McDonald's of the dog food world.

Kayak answered on 8/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Chocolate

it's not the worst(purina moist n meaty is THE WORST dog food). but it's pretty close, why would caramel be needed. And bone meal? people like aster some how think bone meal and corn as the base of a dog's diet is appropriate.? common sense aster, ALL animals need healthy quality ingredients to thrive. bone meal and caramel isn't that.

check out wellness.

www.wellnesspetfood.com

Chocolate answered on 8/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maverick

Hey Sheba,

Mom says to look at the ingredients in your food and go from there. Mom recommends you look for a food with a meat source as the first ingredient. In dog food the ingredient list goes by weight so whatever is listed first is what is mainly in the food. Mom likes a meal like chicken meal, or lamb meal, because it has the water and fat extracted so it is more concentrated! Also watch for ground yellow corn, or whole grain corn. That causes more back yard clean up for your mom. Corn gluten meal is ok because it is just the protein source of the kernel. Another thing to look for is artificial colors or preservitives. Those can make you itchy and I know that is no fun. Mom feeds us Nutro and it is super yummy! You should give it a try. Also check out the linoleic acid level-3.5% is preferable. Mom swears I shed less now and I know my coat is super shiny!

Here is there website:
www.nutroproducts.com

Maverick answered on 8/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer