Poppy

Is grain a bad for your dog? Does it really eat there stomach??

I was told once that grain is bad for your dog so I got Taste of the Wild a grain free diet but I don't know if that is true??
And I was told it eats away at there stomach??
I really need help please help me.

Asked by Poppy on Jan 13th 2010 in Pet Food

Answers

Chocolate

Eats their stomach lol? not sure who told you that. But dogs are carnivores, grains are hard to digest and come with unnessecary excess carbohydrates. So for most, grain-free is the best option.

Chocolate answered on 1/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Tons of nonsense about dog diets around. Dogs do quite well on diets that are mostly properly prepared grains. See www.ddgs.umn.edu

Do you really believe that in the last 10,000 years when meat was scarce in the human diet, that dogs were gorging on top cuts of meat? No, they were eating offal and grains, the same ingredients as in modern dog foods.

Reyna

It's not that grains are necessarily BAD for your dog, it's that they simply aren't necessary. Dogs can sometimes get some nutrients from high quality grains, but for the most part, they just make poop! (and no, grains do not eat away at the dogs stomach).
Taste of the Wild is a REALLY good food. If Poppy likes it, stick with it. As far as grainfree goes, it's the best bang for your buck, and lots of dogs do really well on it. In fact, a local vet recommends TOTW (particularly their fish formula) for a lot of allergy dogs. I had a woman come in and ask about it because she was currently paying $70 for a bag of Hills RX diet ZD and her poor Springer was still itchy. She switched to TOTW fish and he's actually improving after just a few weeks on it!
Can does survive off of grain and offal? Sure. We see it everyday. But look at the increase in cancer and other chronic diseases in dogs. Many are convinced there is a correlation. Surviving does not equal thriving.

Reyna answered on 1/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 6 Report this answer

Grains won't eat your dog's stomach, no.

Also, it's important to remember that there are some good grains. Just like with so-called human food, there's a huge difference between healthy, whole grains and refined flours and processed grains.

It's very similar in dog food. Whole grains, like whole oatmeal are fine for dogs. Grains that are refined until they are no longer really truly grains can be harmful and can cause a lot of different digestive and skin issues.

If it helps you to look at it like this, it's like the difference between eating whole, unprocessed or minimally processed food and eating fast food. It might not kill you, but you're better off eating a more healthful diet. The same is true for dogs.

"there are more dogs out there with cancer"perhaps show me the stats...support you claim or else it's just cr**.. Dogs are living longer than ever, an eight year old dog was considered old fifty years or so ago, and most dogs ate a heavy meat based diet. Today a 10 year old dog is considered "senior" but still not OLD, not til they're around twelve. All in all I'd say dogs are heathier than ever, and very few are priviledged to have the "superior" dog foods.
By the way, one of my favorite memories of my favorite dog was my mom yelling (we were visiting her) "come and see what your dog did!". there he lay in the middle of the backyard munching a tomato with at least a couple of dozen more between his front legs. He had picked all of her riope tomatoes...just typical omnivore activity
Want to icreaseto increase female lifespan?, don't spay her...
www.examiner.com

Farley

Dogs aren't omnivores because they CAN eat plant matter. NOTHING anatomically in dogs points to them being true omnivores.Their bodies are DESIGNED for raw meat and bones. This is the diet that works best with their body, however they will forage for grasses and such if there is no ideal prey around. Just because they can SURVIVE on a mainly plant matter diet, doesn't mean that should be their entire diet. I could SURVIVE on nothing but granola bars and multivitamins my whole life too, but I wouldn't be THRIVING, would I? Dogs will THRIVE on a proper, meat based diet. Using nothing but grains and grain fragments is just a cheap way to mass-produce kibble and call it "dog food." And fortunately many people are finally waking up to it.
Anyway, to answer your question, no, grains don't "eat away at the stomach" however dogs and cats have no inherent need for carbohydrates, as they can synthesize glucose from fat and protein, and that is how their bodies work best.

Farley answered on 1/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 9 Report this answer

The Hounds of Bassetville +3

Grains are bad because dogs are not able to properly process them. They are fillers and added to kibble in order to bulk up the food and make up for the lack of meat. Kibble is a fairly new invention and before it, dogs ate mostly raw bones, table scraps, and what they were able to catch on their own. The life span of these dogs may have shorter, but this is due to the fact that vets and veterinary technology was not what it is today, not because of their diets. Dogs are 99.9% identical in DNA to their Wolf ancestors and this means that their bodies are designed to process meat and bones... while they are scavengers and will eat anything if they are hungry enough, this does not change the fact that they need meat and thrive on meat. Heck, I like poptarts and potato chips, but they aren't good for me and I wouldn't thrive on an all poptart & potato chip diet!

The Hounds of Bassetville +3 answered on 6/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

I know there is a lot of confusion around pet food unfortunately! To answer your question; No, high quality and whole grains such as Brown Rice, Millet, Milo and Flax are great for dogs. They provide many vitamins and minerals including fiber. Quinoa is another great source of protein loaded with vitamins and is highly digestible. Unfortunately, you have switched your dog to a very harmful food (Taste of the Wild), all kibble and can food from Taste of the Wild currently has a chemical call “Ethoxyquin” this chemical is found in imported fish required by the FDA. This chemical is targeting the liver and spleen creating cancer within years. There are many premium pet food companies that import their fish and have high levels of this chemical. Please be sure to call the company and ask if they import their fish to prevent feeding this poisonous chemical to your loved ones.See the artical from Dr. David A. Dzanis
Veterinary Nutrition www.avianweb.com

Shadow

I don't think grains are BAD for dogs, but they do not need to be primary ingredients like they are with so many commercial dog foods out there.

I've never heard that it eats away at their stomach - and if it did, there would be HUGE numbers of dogs with this problem (if you look at how many dogs out there eat the cheap commercial dog food).

What I have heard is that it is a cause of food allergies/sensitivities.

Look at ingredient labels of your dog food and make sure you know what the first 8 ingredients actually are. Note: there are some things that do not have to be listed if the manufacturer did not add it - like the Ethoxyquin that is added to imported fish - just to confuse consumers even more!

If you are really concerned, go with an organic dog food - the number of these types of dog foods are growing each year.

Shadow answered on 7/10/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Daisey Mae

I would recommend grain-free dog food if your dog is needing to lose weight. I just switch my 2 boxers to Wellness CORE grain-free dog food. And before that I did have them on Blue Buffalo. Before I put them on natural food I did have them on Iams weight formula and they still seem to be gaining weight so I decided to switch to Blue Buffalo and notice my dogs started losing some weight (which they needed) I will be keeping my dogs on the natural dog food! And they seem to Really L-O-V-E It =)

Daisey Mae answered on 8/10/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

"I know there is a lot of confusion around pet food unfortunately! To answer your question; No, high quality and whole grains such as Brown Rice, Millet, Milo and Flax are great for dogs. They provide many vitamins and minerals including fiber. Quinoa is another great source of protein loaded with vitamins and is highly digestible. Unfortunately, you have switched your dog to a very harmful food (Taste of the Wild), all kibble and can food from Taste of the Wild currently has a chemical call “Ethoxyquin” this chemical is found in imported fish required by the FDA. This chemical is targeting the liver and spleen creating cancer within years."

I recently contacted TOTW and they said that they no longer import their fish and their food no longer contains ethoxyquin. You might want to give them a call yourself for more detailed information. They said they made the change as a result of consumer pressure to change.

Seth

If you look at dogs in the wild, they just dont eat meat. Also look at foxes and coyotes, they have been know to eat fruit and vegtables. yes meat should be the number one thing in food. But the grains are good for digestion and other health benifits that help dogs live longer. And if you look at grain free foods, they are not just meat. most will have potatoes along with other things in they.

Seth answered on 10/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maxximus Augustus

Grains will NOT do any particular harm to your dogs stomach. They are filler for the most part; most of the grain itself is indigectible for a dog. However, dogs do regularly consume the stomach contents of their primarily herbivorous prey; once the outer hulls of the grains have been digested by the prey animal and the digestible part is left for the canine.
The big thing to watch with dry foods is not so much is there grain, but what grains?; how much of these grains?; and the quality of the grains. If it is a high quality food which has included wholesome and easily to digest grains which have been prepared appropriately, there should be no issues. Some dogs have actual allergy issues, and cannot have grains. Most just react to poor quality grains prepared poorly; corn corn and more corn would be the biggest culprit...even herbivores such as people have trouble digesting whole grain corn...

Maxximus Augustus answered on 10/30/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Chloe ♥

A small amount of grains will not hurt your dog but what's bad is when there is a whole lot of grains that are when dogs get so much of it instead of things they particulary need, (i.e. meat, rice, corn, etc.) If your dog isn't getting enough of these but you still want a grain-free diet, look at the ingrediants in stores for different brands of dog foods or ask your vet for what's best.

Chloe ♥ answered on 12/5/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Holly - CGC TDI

Grain eating away at their stomachs, BOL!
However, grains are hard on your dog's digestive system. The best diet for a dog is something that mimics what his diet would have been in the wild. Lots of raw meat, some pureed veggies, some fruits for treats, but I really don't advise feeding grains. Especially since now days most of the supposed "grains" (corn, wheat, rice, etc) is actually not human grade. It is just a filler to bulk out the pet food for the manufacturers who want to make a bigger profit. I feed TOTW now (wish I could feed raw) and Holly does pretty well on it, but I plan to switch to a higher quality, more locally produced food soon. A dog can survive on grain, but he won't necessarily be healthy on it. Check out the book "Food Pets Die For" it is very eye-opening and informative. It tells you about what is really in the food you feed your dog.
Happy Feeding!

Holly - CGC TDI answered on 12/8/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Dudley

Dogs were meant to eat meat but sometimes high meat diets will cause kidney problems. The first ingredients in your dog's food should always be high quality meat, not meat by-products or grain. If the food contains grain, it should not be wheat. Whole grains are always better for dogs, like brown rice or oats. Stay away from super market brands and talk to your pet store or on-line store to purchase premium brands that will make your dog healthier. They cost more but you will feed less and your dog will be more satisfied. heck out "dog food ratings" on line to rate your dog food and others.

Dudley answered on 12/8/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Birdy

Poppy. Taste of the Wild is a great rotational grain free kibble. Try rotation the flavors monthly.

There is also Natures Variety, Orijen, Addiction and many others out there that are excellent.

Take care.

Birdy answered on 4/4/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Brooklyn

Grain or no grain it really all depends on all the ingredient together. Grain like brown rice is actually good for dogs with an upset stomach or diarrhea. I would look for foods that have little or no grain such as corn and find a food with meat as the first ingredient NOT byproduct meal. Anything with byproduct meal is not something you want your dog to be eating. I would read these two articles about dog food.

Rendered Products In Dog Food:
www.dogbreedinfo.com

Corn In Dog Food Really?:
www.dogbreedinfo.com

Brooklyn answered on 6/28/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Rex

Grain is usually just filler in most cheaper kibble to add more carb / energy to the dog food, without adding much nutritional value. Grain free is more natural and healthier for your dog. My dog was on TOTW Salmon for almost 2 years - it is far superior to the other kibble i had tried for him before (such as Nutro). He gained weight and it helped the skin allergies (stopped the itching). More recently i switched him again to a raw food diet, which i think is healthier since its all natural, but for dry food, TOTW is one of the very best. It's also very gentle on the stomach - no grain means less likely to irritate the stomach. A friend of mine has 4 german shepherds (which as a breed typically have very sensitive tummies), and she switched all four of her dogs to TOTW in just one day. Usually you are supposed to switch dog food over a period of at least 3 to 5 days so that the dog has the to adjust to the new food. Yet none of her dogs had any problems with the overnight switch

Rex answered on 2/4/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer