Blackie *R.I.P*

Is Garlic Good for Dogs?

I was just wondering if garlic is good for dogs.
I've looked it up and some say yes, some say no.
I figure large amounts isn't but in small doses?

Asked by Blackie *R.I.P* on May 29th 2009 Tagged garlic in Other Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Abby NPC ~ CGC, TDI

I give both of my labs garlic everyday, and have for the past two years. My vet told me that dogs their size would have to sit down and eat 50 cloves of garlic in order to have any ill effects. We live in WI so there are a lot of fleas and TONS of ticks. I haven't seen either on the dogs since I started it. I've found ticks on myself and my husband, but not on them.
You have to do what YOU are comfortable with.

Abby NPC ~ CGC, TDI answered on May 29th.

Answers

You can give your dog garlic but you don't want to over do it. You can visit your vet and ask how much garlic to give your dog or you can get brewer's yeast for dogs that has garlic in it. The brewer's yeast with garlic is already portioned depending on how much your dog weighs so you don't have to worry about giving too much. The garlic and brewer's yeast combo is good for skin, coat, cardiovascular system, and keeps cholesterol levels normal. I've heard the garlic also helps with keeping fleas and ticks off because it changes the way the blood tastes to them. Not sure how much of that is true though.

It is nothing they need, and yes in large doses, can be toxic. I am very skeptical about the claims of preventing fleas. Now we only have one healthy young dog in the house again, I am going back to what I found works too, nothing.

Aster came back to us at 10 years old with a flea allergy. I didn't want to chance a problem, so for the last 5 summers, both dogs got Revolution and we never saw any sign of fleas. Would we have without the Revolution? I can't say.

I'd be very, very careful with garlic. Garlic is similar to chocolate in that individual dogs' reactions might vary a great deal. One dog can eat garlic (even concentrated garlic) every day with little or no effects while another can get trace amounts and end up in the E/R or worse.

Garlic is often included as a flavoring additive in cheaper foods, though it is increasingly found in higher quality "gourmet" dog food brands and forumlas.

Personally, I'm not convinced enough that it's safe to give any dog of mine. I'm sure chances of anything happening are slim, but I'm not a risk taker when it comes to their health. I have heard of two dogs I know personally being effected by garlic reactions.

I say err on the side of caution, just in case.