Is Doggie Day Care benificial for dog-to-dog socialization?

My people and I live in Freeport, IL and we have been wondering about MORE training for me to help me be more social with other dogs. I have already gone through all 3 levels of obediance school offered locally, but they mostly helped with interaction between me and my people. I can do tons of tricks & I listen very well. (They were one-on-one & practiced "Focus" between owner & dog.) I am VERY protective of my people. They are proud of me with people interaction, but I get "growl-y" when other dogs are nearby. I love the Dog Park, but I know I won't always have it all to myself. I'm really a good dog. Please help!

Asked by Member 781750 on Dec 26th 2008 in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Stormy

As someone who works in a Daycare/boarding facility I can say from personal experience that it goes both ways. We have dogs stay with us who are NOT totally socialized with other dogs and we generally take them out to play with 1 or 2 other dogs to slowly introduce them and then gradually add more dogs. But there will always be the dog that is overwhelemed even with small groups or more docile dogs, I see it all the time. REAL dog to dog socialization should occur when they are puppies. But then again, we've had dogs who ARE socialized who will snap and start fights anyway. We do to take more time with the more sensitive dogs. Our facility offers private training sessions where professional trainers can work on your dogs socialization. Anyway, I dont know any in your area but make sure if you do decide to take him to day care- LET THE STAFF KNOW ABOUT THE BEHAVIOR!!! He could be that way just around YOU trying to protect you. Does he hide behind you or in front of you at the park??

Stormy answered on Dec 26th.

Answers

Zackintosh CJ

I wouldn't recommend using doggie daycare until your dog is socialized.
An unsocialized dog in a daycare is a fight waiting to happen.
Just putting a dog with a bunch of other friendly ones doesn't socialize him. It stresses him out, makes him nervous, which are all precursors to aggression.
Socialize, then put him in daycare.
All good daycares won't accept aggressive dogs, for the safety of people and other dogs at the daycare.

Zackintosh CJ answered on 12/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I wouldn't say Mariah isn't a candidate for an appropriate day care. But, I emphasize appropriate, here.

There is something that happens in a dog park or enclosed day care setting that trainers call "swamping." Simply, swamping is when a dog with semi-aggressive or fear-aggressive tendencies shows docile and submissive behavior when in the presence of a large number of other dogs.

Usually, the "borderline" aggressive dogs like yours who do well in daycare are those who get growly one on one with other dogs. Dogs who "shut up" and play well with larger groups are usually the ones who can handle daycare AND who end up benefitting from the socialization aspect from that pack.

A good daycare will screen first and you should be up-front about Mariah's challenges. Hopefully, a trainer will be able to help you decide if daycare is an option for Mariah. I know it sounds great, but the last thing you want is to put either her or other dogs in danger.

Deogie goes to daycare 3 times a week for a half day, and he loves it. I go do my shopping and appointments on those days so he goes in order for him not to be home alone. He has been going there since in was 10 wks, so some of his best buds are there.
To be honest your dog would NOT be allowed at his daycare. Your dog wouldn't pass any of the first few tests, especially a one on one with another dog behind a fence, so their answer would be no.
There have been situations, snarls and snaps, like when one dog tries to hump another but there has never been anything serious since Deogie has been going. Knock wood.
Good luck to you.