is cornmeal bad for dogs

I have a recipe for dog cookies and it calls for cornmeal

Asked by Member 1076233 on Dec 8th 2011 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Dogs are carnivores and not designed to eat things like corn, but it won't hurt them in moderation. I personally choose to avoid recipes with cornmeal (corn is too common in commercial treats and kibbles already IMO), but I have used them in the past.

No, cornmeal is perfectly safe for dogs. The reason people don't like to see too much of it in dog food is that
1. It's really cheap, and possibly a sign of cut corners elsewhere
2. It's not very digestible by dogs, mostly it goes right through (yuck)
3. What is digestible is pretty much empty calories. Dogs don't require it in their diet, unlike meat.

It makes a nice binder for kibble and biscuits though. Helps it stick together and have a nice crunchy texture.

Sage Honey

I agree with Bruno, I don't usually feed my dog anything which contains cornmeal. Just for fun, the following is my two cents on corn meal:

Poor quality protein like this grain product can create stress on the dog’s kidneys and it makes proper nutritional digest a nightmare

Used in many pet foods can be the same corn used to make feed for livestock which is cheap and of low quality

A filler of poor quality that provides almost no good nutrition and it’s put in the food because it is cheap and it fills up a hungry tummy

It has also been commonly linked to canine food allergies

Sage Honey answered on 12/12/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Yes, cornmeal is bad for dogs. Instead of adding cornmeal to the treats, add oatmeal as a substitute. Cornmeal can effect the health of your dog, it's low quality, not digestible and can cause a lot of health problems as well as allergies.