Chelsea, From Malaysia

Is chicken liver (baked) okay for dogs? My 2 year old shitzu eats it everyday with Royal Canin dog food,

Asked by Chelsea, From Malaysia on Jul 15th 2008 Tagged chickenliver, royalcanin in Homemade Food

Answers

yes fine but not too much

Miss Buddie

I agree that it's fine, but just make sure you're adjusting her regular dog food so that she's not eating too much in a day.

Miss Buddie answered on 7/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It's fine to use occasionally, but it is high in vitamin A so it shouldn't be a daily addition.

Vance CGC

Being a bit of an echo: Liver is good for dogs in moderation. As stated, it's high in vitamin A and there is such a thing as vitamin A toxicity. Unlike some vitamins that simply exit the body once it's had enough, vitamin A sticks around and buildup causes problems.

In a raw food diet, liver in only 5% of the overall diet. I am not sure how much baking alters the nutrients in liver.

If you want to add fresh cooked meat to her food every day, I would look into some variety, like skinned, deboned chicken or turkey legs, or ground beef. Check out Dogster's Homecooking forum. You'll get more ideas with more detail there.

Vance CGC answered on 7/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer