Daisy

is canned/tinned salmon ok for dogs?

just wondering if tinned salmon is ok for dogs.

Asked by Daisy on Sep 29th 2009 Tagged salmon in Food & Nutrition

Answers

A little won't hurt. However, it isn't the complete and balanced diet dogs need. Too much could result in the dog becoming over weight or too little of important nutrients. Watch the salt too.

Nibbles

When I've made salmon patties I've given Nibbles a little in his kibble. Do go easy because the vet has had me put him on a diet. No salmon patties for awhile. BTW he LOVES salmon and tuna!

Nibbles answered on 9/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Hailey May

I've never tried but however i don't see why it'll hurt. I might try that on sadie she needs to gain a little weight.

Hailey May answered on 9/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I feed it as part of my Papillon mix's homeprepared raw diet. Well, I would if he would eat it...LOL. My GSD likes it though, and when I finally get into the financial situation to feed her a raw diet, I'll certainly include it. In a raw diet, you need a variety of meat sources. (Even though technically canned salmon is cooked...but you are *not* supposed to feed fresh salmon, so...)

For now my GSD is fed a rotation diet of meat-based kibble, one canned meal a month, meaty table scraps, and a few raw meals.
I imagine that canned salmon could also be used in a homecooked diet...canned salmon by itself is not balanced for sure, but fed with a variety of other meats, bones, organs (and in some cases, veggies) and following the guidelines for a homeprepared diet, it's excellent.

B.J., CGC

Be sure to watch the salt content... canned fish is notoriously salty! Both canned salmon and tuna were taken off my own diet due to high blood pressure.

B.J., CGC answered on 9/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer