Is canned salmon bad for dogs?

It is Alaskan Pink Salmon. My dog goes crazy when I eat it, but I don't want to give it to her if it is bad

Asked by Member 1092768 on Feb 16th 2012 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Cooked salmon is totally fine for dogs. Just don't give her raw salmon (or other salmonid fishes like trout and steelhead, they harbor a parasite that makes dogs sick, and must be cooked first).

I know a lot of raw feeders who feed their dogs Alaskan salmon. It is absolutely fine to feed your dogs raw and cooked Alaskan salmon.

actually..to confuse you more..both the above posters are correct!
Yes..canned, cooked salmon is fine & there is no need to remove the bones.
Dogs can eat raw salmon as well, but there is a risk of parasitic contamination. It is recommended that you freeze raw Pacific salmon for a month to kill any potential parasites.