SADIE

Is canine & human prednisone the same?

I have a 6 year old 65lb yellow lab named Sadie. She has disc issues in her neck. When it flares up the vet gives her 20mg prednise twice a day for 3 days and then it tapers off to one a day for 4 days along with muscle relaxers & pain meds. I have some 5mg prednisone prescribed to me. Is it ok to give her four of mine if she has a flare up rather then go back to the vet? Obviously if it didn't get better we would take her at that time.

Asked by SADIE on Jan 30th 2009 Tagged human, dog, prednisone in Medications

Answers

I'd call an er vet and ask that question. I'm not sure I'd risk giving her your medicine. But, definately consult a vet.

Nehbey

Prednisone is too risky a medication to give haphardly. It has many side effects and it is long-lasting in the body. NEVER give prednisone or any other steroid to your dog without a veterinarian's approval!

Nehbey answered on 1/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It works best with the helping the body when it's given in a taper down regimen (like the one the vet prescribed for her) than just giving her a one time dose or a lower/ higher dose than is best for her body. Since it supresses Sadie's immune system she could have a bad reaction if you did not dose her appropriately so the best bet is seeing the vet for an RX if she needs it. The vet can also make sure it is not too much for her system and bones (since pred. sucks out calcium from the system).