Is baby food healthy for 8-week old puppy? If so, is it okay to vary what I give him from meal to meal?

He won't eat the kibble alone, so I've been adding Gerber's Sweet Potato and Wild Salmon dinner, and he loves it. No tummy problems either. Is it okay to give him that one meal and something else another meal, such Chicken and Carrots or Lamb and Rice, so that he has a variety?

Asked by Member 762170 on Nov 2nd 2008 in Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

Eight weeks is still awfully young to be away from his mother, so simply adjusting to a new life with you can cause him to have a lack of appetite from stress.

Most puppies (and dogs for that matter) do better on a 60/40 mixture of wet/dry dog food.

I'd recommend finding a high quality dog food, such as Wellness, Canidae, or Eagle Pack. Wellness has an excellent puppy formula in both wet (canned) and dry food. Any transition should be done over at least five to seven days to avoid upset tummy.

Baby food is not really ideal for a puppy. They have much different digestive systems than human babies. And, you have to be VERY careful to avoid foods that are toxic to dogs. For example, uncooked salmon is DEADLY to dogs, but cooked salmon seems to be okay. So, again, make sure you check with the vet about any human foods you want to feed your puppy before you feed him.

I'd try real puppy food and you can also mix it with plain boiled white rice if you want.

Jack answered on Nov 2nd.

Answers

samantha

THAT IS A VERY GOOD DIET TO GIVE THE DOG. THERE IS A DOG FOOD OUT THERE THAT HAVE THINGS YOU JUST PUT IN YOUR E-MAIL. I FEED MY DOGS THE SAME KIND OF THINGS.

I WAS TOLD NEVER FEED THEM ANY DOG FOOD THAT STARTS WITH A GAIN IN IT. SO WE LOOK AT THE BACK OF THE BAG.

WHAT YOU HAVE PUT DOWN IS A VERY SAFE AND GOOD DIET FOR THE DOG.

samantha answered on 11/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Since your puppy is only 8 weeks old, I assume that you have only gotten him within the last couple of days. It's normal for pups separated from their mothers and adjusting to a new home not to eat much when they first go to their new home.

A great thing to feed puppy would be puppy mush. Take a quality kibble, run it through the blender with some warm water and canned puppy food, and feed that. The slightly mushy consistency is easier for a lot of pups to eat, and they prefer the stronger smell of the canned food over the dry kibble.

Absolutely do NOT feed baby food!

Please read the ingredients on the baby foods. Most contain onions and onion powder, both of which are TOXIC to dogs.

Most also contain sugars and salt, which are unhealthy for your dog.