Sprite

Is a sweater enough to keep my dog warm?

We have decided to get Sprite some 'clothes', since it is really cold and snowy where we live and he is always shivering and holding up his paws when we go on walks. But I have a question - are dog shoes/boots really necessary? We are worried that Sprite won't like them and we will be wasting our money buying them. A sweater will most likely be easier for him to get used to, since he already is comfortable with a harness. So basically what I am asking is, is a sweater enough to keep a dog warm enough?

Asked by Sprite on Dec 13th 2009 Tagged sweater, clothes, boots, shoes, cold, snow, paws in Apparel

Answers

If your talking about Sprite, then it probably is enough to keep him warm. Dogs do have coats and there body tempauture heats up quickly, but with a sweater that would be good for him to have on!

Katie

Hi Sprite!

Yes, a sweater should be enough, but if you're holding up your paws on walks, you might be more comfortable with dog boots, too. Snow can get packed into the fur between your toes and cause a lot of pain, and even frostbite.

If you decide to get doggy boots, you should acclimate to them. Try this:

1. Show Sprite the boots. As soon as he looks at them, say "Good!" and give him a treat. If he takes a step toward them, another "Good!" and treat. If he sniffs them, same thing.

2. Put the boots away after two minutes of "interaction" with them. Do something else for an hour or so.

3. Repeat Steps 1 and 2. Soon Sprite will love seeing those boots!

4. Touch the boot to Sprite's foot. Praise and treat.

5. Gradually increase the contact, until you can put one booty on. Treat each success along the way.

If you decide not to buy boots, dip Sprite's paws in warm water when you get home, and towel them off. The warm water will melt any snow between his toes and keep them safe.

Katie answered on 12/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

no, my dog needs a jacket/coat. sometimes sweater under a outer coat (i have a thin maltese)

you can find really cute and inexpensive ones at www.poochitoutou.com

all of their stuffs are under $20 and the styles are really super/cool for boys

Shiver Me Timbers

I'd say the sweater is a good way to go, but go with some boots too. Dogs will often hold up their paws in cold weather because a) their paws are very cold or b) the salt that people put on their sidewalks to melt ice is cutting into their pads and burning them.

When I first got my Beagle, he screamed bloody murder as soon as he was trying to walk on the sidewalks with chemicalized salt, because they hurt his paws so badly. I invested in some expensive boots with the promise of them being durable and warm to last me a few years on 'all-terrain'.

Most people aren't aware that the salt does this to paws or that paws with less protective fur are likely to freeze or become worn in the cold. Be sure to protect that little boys paws!

Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie" answered on 12/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

those are some great answers and there is also paw wax if you don't want to buy booties and or can't afford them.
It is paw wax in a tin by 4 in1
I like it for my dogs if we go out where there is road salt.
Road salt can hurt and wear down the tissue on the pads.

chloe

this is chloe and sometimes I were multiple sweaters on my walks and booties help my feet

chloe answered on 12/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

no, not really. it also depends on what kind of dog it it. if its a small dog, like a chiuaua, they get cold eaisily because of the lack of fur and a sweater wouldnt really make it "nice n' warm". if its a big dog, like a german shepherd, they have a lot of fur to keep them warm but it might still be cold so a sweater should satisfy it. like humans, dogs could also get cold even when wearing a sweater. dont bother with the boots because the dog will just try to rip them off. it really is ur choice though because some dogs dont need it but if u feel that ur dog would be better with one then use it: better to b a little chilly then freezing right?

Skye

A fleece is a good idea being in BC. Check out a few different boots in your local stores, some are like socks with rubber pads while others are much heavier, really made for working dogs or real heavy activity.

Skye answered on 1/8/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I'd say it depends on your dog's coat and how long you're outdoors at a time. A sweater or fleece for sure. However, it sounds like it snows there lots on top of the cold, and snow will render even the best sweater useless after an hour of being outside.

Coming from someone who has tried every dog product under the sun, I'd buy a couple fleeces (much better and more efficient and durable than sweaters, many on the market which are cheap...)
from goldpawseries.com.

Velcro is CRAP in the snow eventually, and you'll want a coat that stays on. The harness system in this coat isn't "perfect," but it works, and it's the most durable, high quality coat on the market:
foggymountaindogcoats.com
A bit pricey at first, but it will last the lifetime of the dog and longer, and accomodate lonnnnnng walks and frolicking freely.

Finally, pawzdogboots.com
Your dog will accept them, they are the only things that stay on, more protective than Mushers Secret Paw Wax (though I like that too)