Frenchy

Is a shock collar cruel?

Is a shock collar cruel to teach a 5 month old dauchshund not to bark? She barks constantly, with no reason. I just dont know if its mean or if there is any other method that people have used that works. Thanks everyone!

We are currently enrolled in a obedience class and she does great, she listens to us with cues and everything but the barking is the one thing we cant get under control (that and potty training, grr). Ive read countless books and just dont know what to do. My husband is starting to resent Frenchy but I love her sooo much. Its my husbands idea to do a shock collar, but I just didnt have a good feeling about it. What about when she gets older and bigger and she is still barking. Would it be cruel then? Or what about the citronella ones, are those mean?

Asked by Frenchy on Mar 26th 2010 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Max (aka Sebastian)

Yes, a shock collar on a puppy would be cruel. You need to read up on behavior, there are ways to correct the barking by using training methods, and she is barking for a reason, where the orignial reasons she was barking have not been corrected so she may be barking out of habit now, out of boardem or because you pay attention to her when she barks.
I would suggest vistiing the behavior forum and get suggestions there on how to properly train your puppy not to bark. There should be someone there with advice, or can atleast offer some good books to read on the subject.
Also your tone and pitch of your voice can encourage barking.
But please, please do not shock that puppy, it's just a baby.

Max (aka Sebastian) answered on 3/26/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kayak

I wouldn't recommend it to stop barking. I have them for my hunting dogs when out in the field.
Anyone who considers using one should seek the advice from a professional trainer throughout the process. When done right it can be a valuable tool.
I wouldn't recommend it on your dog she is too small.
Dogs bark it is what they do. If it is excessive she is probably bored. Enroll her in an obedience class. It will give the two of you productive time together your instructor can help you with problems like barking etc.
The more scheduled and busy your dogs day is the more her mind will be occupied, she will be tired at the end of the day and the barking will lesson, if not stop altogether.
Frenchy is adorable!
Good luck and happy training.

Kayak answered on 3/26/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Yes it is mean to put on a puppy when there are far gentler ways to correct barking...They should know how to help you with this in your classes!

Not only is a shock collar totally counterproductive for barking, but it's cruel and possibly quite dangerous for a small dog like yours.

There ARE reasons she's barking. The main one being: Dogs bark!

Explain this to your husband to help him have more patience.

I agree that the trainer in your obedience class should be able to give you tips on how to control her barking.

Some dogs bark more than others. Sometimes this is breed related, but more often than not, it's just the individual dog.

If she's getting her other training easily, then that's a sign that you just haven't found the right technique. Ask the obedience trainer to help you find a positive reinforcement technique.

Shock collars are a cruel, outdated form of punishment training that not only hardly ever works but it only used/recommended by people who don't really know what they are doing.

Same goes for the citronella collars. I've seen dogs bark rapidly to "empty" the citronella so they can keep barking.

www.yourpurebredpuppy.com
Read above link, work up courage to show your husband - gulp....
Hope you researched with your hubby before you got the dog?
Barking is a common issue with Dachshunds.

Exercise - they need quite a bit! And a tired dog is quiet. A good walk twice a day will save your mans nerves.
NEVER give her anything or do anything for her while she is barking or excited.
DO reward her when she is not barking.

I don't agree with a shock collar for barking in any case but on a puppy, particularly a dachie puppy it is beyond cruel, it is also likely to cause more problems than it cures!!!!!!!
Please, try more positive methods, and provide the puppy with more structured activity since most continual barking is the result of boredom and lack of proper exercise.

Deogie loves to bark. He loves the sound of his voice and I do as well but when it's enough, it's enough. Like anything with training it takes patience and being consistant each and every time the unwanted behaviour is done. The "quiet" command can be taught but it's not something that is going to happen over night.
Deogie loves his treats more so than he likes to bark, so treats were always on hand, usually carried in my pocket. When he would bark, I would stand in front of him, (drawing his attention to me, rather than the reason for the barking) say "quiet" when he stopped barking I would treat immediately and praise. When he looked at me and that treat, it was far more important than what was outside. It was constant and never once did I allow him to continue to bark without me stepping in to "quiet" him.
If one method doesn't work, try another. All dogs can be trained, it just takes work on your part. If your dog isn't learning than obviously it's your teaching methods.

I've had a bark collar for my dogs' before; I don't think it is cruel. It teaches them to be quiet, and not bark. You can also use calming, barking, or stress medicine to make your dog be quiet.

There is also a spray bark collar. I think it sprays out lemon oil and it stops the dog from barking. I like the bird house barking control, too.

www.dog

You can find the birdhouse barking control at pretty much any pet store.

www.mightypets.com

I don't think the citronella ones are mean.

You can NOT put a bark collar on a dog under 6 pounds, the shock is so powerful, it can kill them, and seriously do some damage to the dog.

All the dog really needs is training and more exercise to keep her from barking.

Yes! thats mean, you can kill your dog in that matter, you need a vet or a trainer not a shock collar.

cherokee

i just wanna let u know bout the potty training...dauchsunds r very hard to potty train. i have had my lil weiner dog for bout 7 months now and still she goes in the house. if u ever get her potty trained plz let me know how. when i first got her i read online bout weiner dogs and it did say there really hard to potty train.... just thought i would let u know

cherokee answered on 3/26/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If you do not think it is cruel, try putting the collar on your neck and make a barking noise. Just see how it feels. I think after you feel the shock, you will take it back to the store you bought it from. Believe me , I did.