Louie

Is a second dog the answer?

We have a 10 month old (give or take) rescued pup. He is a Catahoula Leopard Dog. He is bursting with energy. We go for about an hour long walk, then a long play session outside. The thing i, this doesn't bring his energy down for very long. When we bring him over to my sisters he plays much harder with her Huskies. This makes him a much calmer dog inside. My question is, will a second dog at his own home keep him calmer, or will he just be wild inside with this dog? Basically, I am trying to decide if a companion for him will help him learn how to be a better dog while inside?

Asked by Louie on Mar 31st 2014 Tagged hyper, playful, companion, seconddog in Socialization

Answers

Do you really want a second dog? Right now you have the equivalent of a teenager: gangly, dorky, sweet, with tough manners. Do you honestly want another one right now? If so, hooray! But how about some play dates or trips to the dog park? Find an energetic working dog to help address the energy issues, and meet up a few times each week. With a second dog of your own, you're looking at twice the food, twice the vet bills, twice the everything for the next 10-15 yrs. Ready for that?

Sachi (1997-2012)

Libby's answer is great. I agree 100%. You shouldn't get a second dog just for your first dog, unless you REALLY want one. And what if it turned out that the second dog doesn't even like playing with Louie? It happens.

Another option is to hire a dog walker. Someone that will stop by your house, however many days a week, and take him for a walk while you're at work. Just saying that if you don't have the time to take him for more exercise, instead of getting another dog that will cost money anyway, pay someone to exercise him for you. It could even be a neighbor kid that needs a little cash.

There is also Doggy Daycare, if one is near you. Drop off on the way to work and pick up an exhausted and happy pup on the way home.

Maybe a walk is too mild for him and he would be tired longer if you took him jogging, biking, or roller blading. If you can't do those then maybe using a weighted backpack will be more exerting during the long walks. Be careful about stressing his joints though.

Sachi (1997-2012) answered on 4/2/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kennedy

I think Libby pretty well answered your question as well as anyone could. But I'll add:

I just brought a second high energy dog into my home and it has positives and negatives. But overall we're thrilled and they play wonderfully together usually. Still, you really won't know for sure until/unless you do, and certainly no one online would be able to know your situation better than you do.

I'll mention, you have a high energy puppy. So expecting him to be calm right now may be asking a bit much of him. dogtime.com

To help tire him out work on training and get him some mental stimulation toys. Maybe add a backpack to his walks.

Good luck to you and handsome Louie! =)

Kennedy answered on 4/2/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The best thing to do is giving your dog lots of activities to release his energy. Activities should be interesting and not repeated so as not to make your dog bored.

Kermit

I agree with Libby also. Getting him a companion right now will probably just result in you having 2 crazy dogs in your house :) He's only 10 months old. He'll be better in 6 months - 1 yr.

Kermit answered on 4/11/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer