Is a golden retriver the right dog for me?

hi guys i really want a dog and i was wondering if a goldie was the right dog 4 me.ive done some reseach and i think its fine but i want your opinions i have a big house w/ a medium yard and no other pets.im willing to provide 2-3 walks a day. Im 11 and im ready 2 take full responsibility 4 it:walks, cleaning up after it, feeding, grooming, ect.Im a first time owner.I have a little brother age 7 and a cousin age 5 he'll be 6 soon.no one has allergies.during the weekends we're home but on the weekdays everyone is out by 830 and back by at least 330. on fridays its 445.we only go on long trips on holidays and we go 2 ski resorts.we live in burnaby bc and live in a suburban home.there's an acerage golfcourse/field/park within walking distance.our house is mostly quiet.ive read up on seperation anxiety and know how 2 deal with it.i am busy but have a considerable amount of time 4 the dog.on tuesdays we're mostly out of the house.we're willing 2 spend about 35$+ on stuff.

Asked by Member 977987 on Mar 28th 2010 Tagged goldenretriver, adoption, rightdogme, maintenance in Golden Retriever

Answers

Cody

Make sure everyone in your house wants a dog - even if it's "your dog," everyone in the house still has to live with it and will have to take responsibility for it at some point (for example, if you are not home).

Also, your parents will probably be in charge of vet care and a few other things. Dog ownership is expensive - it costs a lot more than $35. I spend more than that each month on one dog (that is smaller than a Golden). When I got my first dog, it cost about $500 to get everything set up - and that did not include the cost of the dog or anything beyond one basic vet visit.

You might post in the "choosing the right dog" forum here to get more info about what might be the best breed for you. Since you are young, have never had a dog before, and are gone during the day, you might consider adopting an adult dog from a foster home that is already housetrained - it may be easier for you than starting with a puppy.

Good Luck!

Cody answered on 3/28/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Golden Retrievers are active dogs. They can be destructive if left alone for a long time.

Are you willing to groom this dog? Golden Retrievers have bushy coats, that need a lot of grooming, mainly brushing.

The Golden Retriever is a well manered dog, very obedient, and easily trainable. Spending time training this dog is important.

Do not over feed the Golden Retriever, they gain weight easily.

Why do you want a dog? Dogs are a lot of responsibility; I have two dogs' myself.

If your willing to spend about $35 dollars on a dog, then don't get one. You have to spend hundreds of dollars on large dogs. You have to buy the right food, give them the right care, buy them a big crate, buy the dog toys, a bed, bones, treats, bowls, all that stuff. You will need to spend way more than $35 dollars.

If your willing to only spend that much, I highly recommend you get a different pet, not a dog though.

en.wikipedia.org

Check with everyone first!

I agree with the previous post, but it does sound like you have a bit of an idea what you are getting into. I think adopting a dog about 8 months or older would probably be best. The temperament would be established, house training would be done, but there would still be a lot of puppy energy and training to do. Most goldies I have met are quite energetic until about 2 years old, so be prepared for lots of training and walks. I live on the Island, but have lived in Van for years, so there are plenty of places you can take a dog for exercise. Trout Lake used to be fantastic for dogs if they still allow them there. A family outing to Spanish Banks (dogs ok off leash) or Pacific Spirit Park are also great. Good luck and I hope you find the dog of your dreams!

Hurricane Jack

Golden retrievers are great dogs! But they are hard headed puppys until they are about 2 1/2 years old. Super smart but can be very destructive. They get bored easily. I got Jack as a puppy from a breeder. He's 3 years old now and is the best dog. But it wasnt always like that. Ive had to replace siding on the house and replace idk how many leashes and pillows and dog beds. You sound like youve done alot of research, but with so many young people in the house it could be hard to give a puppy the time and attention it needs. I would definetly suggest adopting an older dog from a rescue.

Hurricane Jack answered on 3/29/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer