is a dog better to let your female have a litter of puppies or have them fixed early?

Asked by Member 566228 on Feb 3rd 2008 in Spaying & Neutering

Best Answer

Daisy Dawg, NPC

found this info on the internet: Please don't consider breeding your dog. Have her fixed as soon as possible:

Myth #1 - I've heard that my pet should have a heat cycle first -- she will be a better pet.
Myth #2 - I've heard that my pet should have a litter first -- she will be a better pet.
These are two common misconceptions about spaying. You will do so much more for the health of your pet by spaying before the first heat. It has been reported that by doing so, you will reduce the chance of mammary (breast) cancer in your pet by as much as 97% over their lifetime. The chance of other reproductive cancers (uterine, ovarian, mammary) and uterine infection is eliminated in spayed animals. Even after the first heat, spaying will reduce the risks of certain cancers and eliminate reproductive organ disease.
(similar info can be found on many animal health related websites)

Daisy Dawg, NPC answered on Feb 3rd.

Answers

Whether you fix your dog early or later DO NOT let her have pups!...The only thing that adds to is shelter dogs dying!!!...There is no reason for health or psychological well being of your dog to let her have pups!!!...Breeding is time consuming, expensive & potentially dangerous for your girl!!

Root

occasionally you still hear that you should let a dog have a litter before having her fixed, but that is silly (and messy and expensive and time consuming and a lot of work). save yourself (and your dog) the hassle and go ahead and have her fixed. good luck!

Root answered on 2/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!!

Your dog should be spayed prior to going into heat!Which is between 6-9 months give or take.This will prevent a litter and behavior issues as well.
There were 9 MILLION pets put to sleep last year because there were not enough homes for them all.So PLEASE spay her BEFORE her heat cycle

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!! answered on 2/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Layla

Please please please please have her spayed before she has any pups!!!

Layla answered on 2/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Daisy~The Angel By My Side~

Get her spayed!!! Please!!!

Daisy~The Angel By My Side~ answered on 2/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kobe

its better to let your female be fully grown before you spay. Too many health problems can happen if you spay too early. Good luck.

Kobe answered on 2/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Miss Buddie

All my baby girls are spayed, so you can probably guess what my answer will be.

Miss Buddie answered on 2/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Actually, having one litter of puppies before being spayed is more dangerous for the dog. It is much better to have it spayed and never have any puppies. In fact, all dogs, except dogs that belong to reputable breeders and who fit the standard and are great candidates for breeding, should be spayed/neutered. The below link, though about Collies, says some things about breeding in general:
www.chelsea

Sasha (Rest in Peace)

No having a litter is not going to change your females temperment. Also when you think about it, There are millions of dogs out there that are homeless all because of people wanting to have a little to supposedly make their female act differant. A dogs temperment is set in stone the moment its born.
Weigh out the cons. Wayyyy too many unwanted dogs, puppys included to purposely breed a dog that is not worthy of breeding in the first place.
Breeding is not to be taken lightly. Hopefully soon, people won't have the option to just have litter after litter. With the spay neuter law probably going to pass. Yay for that.
I am a volenteer with our local rescue. Its just heartbreaking all the sweet dogs that pass through us.

Sasha (Rest in Peace) answered on 2/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer