Is a chihuahua, born without a tail rare ?

Feb.6 2008 my chihuahua puppy was born without a tail.Are there any complications for her furture ? Is there a greater monetary value ? Has anyone ever had a chihuahua born without a tail ?

Asked by Member 567773 on Feb 8th 2008 Tagged chihuahua, puppy, tail, rare, complications, furture, value in Puppies

Best Answer

Gio

A dog being born without a tail when it should be born with one is a serious genetic defect. I would definitely have the pup checked out by the vet and possibly by a neurological specialist. The tail is an extension of the spine, and any abnormal shortening could cause serious neurological complications involving not only skeletal structure but vital organs as well. If the development of the tail is prevented, then it is very possible that the pups digestive, or reproductive organs as well as muscular development in the hind legs is halted as well. A thorough vet check is very strongly recommended.

If the parents belong to you, please do not breed these two parents again as this is a genetic defect and can continue to occur on subsequent breedings. If you purchased the pup from a breeder, be sure that the breeder is aware of the serious medical complications that can come along with the defect.

Gio answered on Feb 8th.

Answers

I'd think it is rare. No, probably no complications. A dog without a tail can function like a dog with one. They can't communicate with other dogs via their tails, but they can bark, use their ears, and body positions to communicate. I have seen several tailless dogs, and all have lived normal lives.

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you

No there is NO EXTRA monetary value it's called a birth defect and if any thing is worth less then the others.
You should have the pup checked by a Vet before placing it with a good owner to make sure there is not going to be issues with her going to the bathroom as she grows.
At leat that would be the right thing to do.

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you answered on 2/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Atlas

There is no monetary value to the puppy. It is technically defected and "tail-less" chihuahuas are not in the breed standard. I'd wonder though if it's just a fluke thing or what. Atlas was born without a tail and it happens in about 1/20,000 Filas. The reason behind this, however, is because, Filas were developed from Bulldogs and for some odd reason, every now and again, a Fila is born without a tail. However, since I last heard, there have been no imported/bred Fila's born without a tail. Atlas was born in Brazil, and that is where they all happen. So, are you sure that this is even a full chihuahua? Many breeds are born tail-less and it's possible that the dog is a mix? That would be my best guess, although it could be some weird form of a birth defect, dogs are sometimes born without limbs, etc. so I guess technically it's possible.

Atlas answered on 2/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Chihuahuas born without a tail are unusual.

However, they are not "rare" as in "worth extra money". The missing tail doesn't make the dog worth more, it makes the dog worth less, because absence of the tail is a disqualifying fault, meaning that this dog could never be shown in conformation and should never be bred.

If this is a dog you bred, it needs to go to a "pet only" home with a spay/neuter contract so that it will not be bred. A dog with a major flaw like this should never contribute to the gene pool of the breed.