Captain Jack

Infection after neutering... is on antibiotics but there is still a lot of

fluid buildup in the scrotum. Does anyone have any idea when that actually starts going down? The vet just said I could pack it with a hot washcloth to help the body absorb it but didn't tell me when I should see a decrease in size. In the morning it's all "swollen" and close to the body but during the course of the day it "drops" and looks looser like it's decreasing in size. Vacation is now in four days and I'm getting increasingly concerned. He wears the cone now all except when he's in my direct line of site (as a matter of fact I slept with the cone in my face last night!) Anyway... any ideas?

Asked by Captain Jack on May 12th 2008 Tagged neuter, infection, swelling in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

Oh, no! Sorry to hear about the complication.

I would get a second opinion. I wouldn't want toxins in that infection to be re-absorbed by the body. Unless I'm misunderstanding, I think it might be better to have it drained out, if possible.

Is the incision hot or is there anything weeping or oozing out?

I do know that the scrotal sac area can often remain full looking, as if there is still something in there, even without the presence of infection, for a few weeks or even months after the surgery.

But, if there is a fluid build up and the antibiotics aren't taking care of it after a couple of days, it seems like it is time to call the vet again or get a second opinon.

Don't know what to tell you about the vacation....best laid plans, right?

Cash TT

Finish your antibiotics, and if things don't change, or if something changes dramatically- have it looked at!

My Boss' dog- who is a hunting dog -was just fixed at the ripe age of 10, and he too had fluid draining into the sac. He had to get a tube installed to drain it and it was just a major pain.

Cash TT answered on 5/12/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Clark Starr

I hope he's better by now. My dog (and I just asked a question about this myself) had a seroma. Could this be what happened with your dog? They told me it would eventuall reabsorb... but it does seem to take a while. Somewhere I saw 2 to 3 weeks!

Clark Starr answered on 5/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer