In the process of finding a second dog but just found out we're expecting a baby. Go ahead and adopt dog now or wait?

Our family includes a 2 1/2-year-old son and an 8-month-old male Boston Terrier mix. We've always wanted to be a two dog family and were recently looking into adopting a second dog, preferably a female young adult Boxer or German Shepherd. However, I just found out I'm pregnant (yay!) and we're now wondering if we should hold off.

We're looking at it a couple of ways. If we adopt a second dog now, we still have nearly nine months to welcome the new dog into our family and when the baby comes, our Boston will have a buddy to keep him company. (Not that we think a new dog would be a substitute for human interaction. They would still be a huge part of our daily lives and get the proper attention and exercise.)

On the flip side, if we don't adopt the second dog now, we feel we would have to wait until new baby is at least a toddler. A long wait.

I'm a stay at home mom so have time to spend with everyone.

What do you think? Adopt now or wait another two years?

Asked by Member 1122677 on Aug 7th 2012 Tagged children, baby, adopting, kids in Dogs & Kids

Answers

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate..but also sounds like you are looking at all angles of your situation. You have a very good list going now, so here is my 2 cents:
A second dog is more than twice the work of one..especially if you go with the boxer or gsd. Both of those breeds do not fully mature until at least 2 or 3 years old. They must have at least an hour of solid exercise every day, plus daily training.
I guess it boils down to you...if you think you have what it takes, without going insane..then go for it now. If you are not sure, or hesitant..then wait.
That being said, there are some great breed specific rescues out there that could find you a great match. Be honest with them & they could find you a dream dog with all the traits you want/need.

If it was me......I would wait.

I would wait. (Congrats btw!)

Honestly, I would wait. I have 2 dogs (both adopted before either of my children were born) and 2 kids, a 2yr old daughter and a 9 month old son. Nobody could have prepared me for how much less time I have in my day by adding a second baby (hmm and I thought I had no time with just one!)...and my dogs were already adapted to the house, family, life etc. having had them both for 4 years before my first child. Once Baby #2 starts becoming mobile, it can get a little bit crazy some days, and I personally would get overwhelmed having a new baby AND a still-fairly-new dog who is still getting used to the routines, training and so on of your household. Obviously we are all individuals and of course you might be able to handle things differently than I can, but if it were me personally, I would wait on it. Congratulations and good luck!