In the last year, my dogs face has turned from red to white. She is only 3. Is something wrong or is this normal?

Synder is a beagle / boxer mix. She is pretty much solid red with small amounts of white on her feet and chest. Her face did have a small amount of white around her nose but now her entire face is turning white. I am just wondering if this is a warning sign of something bad or just part of the natural aging process?

Asked by Member 609573 on Mar 19th 2008 in Health & Wellness

Answers

It's normal. Many dog have get this even when they aren't "old".

Just like people, some dogs go grey or show signs of aging in their hair color faster than others.

BUT, there's also something else that might be going on. Some dog breeds can keep turning colors well into adulthood. Some dogs are born primarily black and then gradually turn color and keep fading out until 2 or 3 years old. Again, because all dogs are individual, some even continue into their 4h and 5th year. Its simply genetics. One would think this would be even more likely with a mixed breed since you've got two sets of characteristics working in there.

I would say that this is hardly ever a warning sign of anything bad, like serious premature aging. I think people WORRY that is it, though.

As long as she is on a good, high quality food, is a healthy weight and gets her exercise every day, then I'd think this is just a coloring thing.

If you feel strongly that something might be going on, take her to the vet for a blood panel and check up.

:-)

Jumpin' Jack Flash Red

By any chance are you feeding Science Diet? Pmail me and we will talk about it!

Jumpin' Jack Flash Red answered on 3/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer